Concrete floor grinder ??

Chuck&Betty

Our (ex) builder  laid a new concrete floor 3 weeks ago,  very uneven surface (moon like) , we need to try to level this off and hope to use a concrete floor grinder from say Loxam or similar, does anyone have any advice or experience with one of these ?, we'll greatly appreciate any replies.

C&J.(in 82)

I work in the hire business in the UK. Using a floor grinder can be a very slow and laborious process and very messy, the key is what area you need to treat and what finnish you require i.e are you going to screed or floor tile etc. getting a perfect finnish using a floor grinder in unlikely and depending on the scale of the problem you may want to consider breaking out and relaying your floor. Sorry but that is the best I can offer without actually seeing the extent of the problem. Best regards and good luck!

Give in and dig it up, that is exactly what we did and as ours was laid straight onto floorboards and had nice lots of metal mesh embedded it came up much easier than expected.

The floorboards are so ruined that the advice was to find another use for them - so we are, they are keeping us warm in the log-burner.

Hope that you are taking appropriate action with your builder - and not just walking away. We inherited our floor - it came with the building.