Shutter hinge pins

Nev

I've got some new shutters to fit and I've been supplied with hinge pins (gonds) with an expanding bolt fastening. This requires a 16mm hole for which I've got the necessary SDS bit etc but my question is how tight do you fasten them? They need to be inserted to a fairly accurate depth in order to get the correct vertical alignment with the face of the wall, but I can't decide how to do it. I haven't actually tried yet! I was assuming that I'd insert the gond and then give it 1 (or 2 or 3?) complete turns to tighten. I forgot to mention, this is into nicely dressed stone around the window aperture, so I don't want to split it or damage it! 

Nev 

I don’t know the answer as to how tight, but there is stone

and stone.  I have tuffeau and

some blocks can be very weak and split quite easily (e.g. screw into a

plug).  I would imagine that a lot of

the load when the shutters are hung will be vertical.

Ian

Deimos

Tuffeau?? I have the Charente limestone.

You're right about the vertical load, except when the shutter swings open, in which case the top hinge pin will, I guess, have an momentary outward pull when the shutter is 90 degrees to the wall.

Nev.

Dave

I presume you mean at an angle left or right? Anything other than perfectly horizontal means that the pin wouldn't be vertical.

I looked at the chemical ones and decided that they were meant for beton blocks. Although I've had no splits so far, I think you are right, and I will try those for the next set of shutters. They work out a little more expensive with the tube of resin. How long do they take to set?

Nev

We had our shutters made and hung by our local menuisier a few years ago.  Having fitted and wedged the shutters in position he then used a jig fitted over the shutter hinge and drilled in at 45 degrees on the corner of the block and fixed with (hilti?) chemical compound. Presumably this gives the maximum support from the stone and helps avoid splitting. 

hi

like i said i learnt by my mistakes,,,,, if you do drill in at an angle  you need to move the hole over to allow for the angle ...you will see what i mean when your first hinge is 5/8ths " out .

dave

do at test hole first

hi

like i said i learnt by my mistakes,,,,, if you do drill in at an angle  you need to move the hole over to allow for the angle ...you will see what i mean when your first hinge is 5/8ths " out .

dave

do at test hole first

I presume that's why my guy had a drilling jig that slipped over the shutter hinge pin 

I've got the drilling guide; it's a "gabarit de percage"; from LaPeyre, 4,40€, and I reckon it's worth it's weight in gold! It bolts into the hinge to give the correct position for the hole.

I've got a picture of it but just realised I can't insert images here, doh!

I can see what you mean about being slightly out, but with the guide it'll be correct, although I'm in two minds now... I've had a look around the house at the existing hinge pins and they're all at 90 degrees to the wall.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Nev