we have a well which we wish to use...

Blade

for water to the house (in addition to the mains water for when the well dries up). how do we get started? i imagine there is analysis to see whether we can drink it too. the well is located on the other side of a country road. do we need to have contact with the DDE too? does anyone know how it works for cost? thanks in advance.

We also have a well we'd like to make more use of. I read somewhere else that you should be able to take a sample of your water - from the well, that is - to the local pharmacy and they'll analyse it for you, but is that universally true? Our local pharmacy is rather small and I wonder if they've got the equipment to carry out the necessary.

Apart from discovering if the water is good enough to drink, we also have the physical and technological problem of lifting it 85 feet to the surface. I don't fancy winding that bucket up and down for hours on end each day! Our house is the highest in the village and has the deepest well, so I wonder if anyone has experience of pumping water from that kind of depth? Any advice much appreciated.

The administration in charge for water quality is the DDASS or DRASS

(look in the yellow pages at "administration". They can tell you where

you can have your water analysed, what is allowed or not, etc... You

will have to make sure your water from the well is not sent into the

general water system and use a "clapet anti-retour" (sorry, I don't

know how to translate this). Even if you don't drink the water, it is

nearly always worth using your well for the toilets, washing machine

and of course the garden.