planning permission on new build

nigel

Can anyone help me. I have brought some land with outlined planning , in  the languedoc in conjunction with a national building company, we purchased the land last Febuary and were told completion takes approximatley 1 year. so far  it has not even started , after constant chasing we are told we are still waiting planning because the land is close to an old church .Because my french is limited I am dependend on the building company but all the sites on the internet say planning should only take 3 months.Payments for the building are staged so as of yet The building company only have 5% of the money so they are not holding any aces.Is this normal ? Have i just got to be patient.

Is there a valid Certificat d'Urbanisme for the site? When does it expire?

Do you or they own they land at the moment?

Did you or they apply for the Permis ?

When was the application submitted?

In theory it should only take three months, but if it is in proximity to a listed monument it can take (much) longer.

However there should have been some paperwork flying backwards and forwards by now, and some reason given as to why things are being delayed.

Have you asked at the Mairie. Doesn't matter what your french is like, you should really find out what is happening and they will know.

Different departments deal with things slightly differently, so I would not tell you how long this should take etc the Mairie can.

Definitely worth going to visit the mairie. Where our commune now stands was once a Roman port settlement (we're now about 20 miles from the sea, which just goes to show what a leaky pipe can do). Anyone wanting planning permission in most parts of the commune must first have done an archeological survey on the site. If the archeologists find anything of interest they can at their discretion either allow building to proceed, impose a delay of five years to see what, if anything, crops up in the meantime, or they can halt any further developement indefinitely. unusually, swimming pools, for which planning permission is not normally a requirement, are also covered by this restriction. Two of our friends have been through this - one got their permission, the other did not and the land they were looking at has now been excluded from developement and now has (presumable suitably qualified) sheep grazing on it. In both cases, a significant wait ensued.

we own the land , The previous owner had a permis de construire for the land passed in Nov 2004 . The land used to be a vineyard and there is 3 other homes to be built on the land all the services are taken to the edge of the plots , I was made to think everything would be passed very quickly ,this may be the case but I have to trust the building company have put the plans in when they say they have which was last April.The gentleman who is in charge of my project says it is awaiting l'architcte des baitiments since August.I just wonder wether this is just the normal length of time for new builds from order.