floor joists

lol cleary

hi this is my first message on here so please excuse me if im asking a daft question. we have a small house in normandy,and have discovered this visit that woodworm have eaten the ends of the floor joists in the main bedroom. we have sprayed with the usual treatment but are now worried as the joists are hanging on by thier fingernails . is there any thing we can do to re-enforse the ends of the joists or do we need to replace them altogether.    thanks in advance for any comments

Several choices depending on your budget. Joist hangers if you can get a good fixing and you can hide/box-in the hangers. Scarf-in new ends ,if your a good carpenter and remember to put the angle cut the right way up to take the stress [and if necessary, strengthen with a piece of ply or stirling board on the side of the join ] or if you are looking for a proper job ,new joists.

Regards.B&B ST.Malo.

What you could do, if there is room, is to fit new ends into Sabots, which are galvanised hangers rawbolted into the wall, then fishplate (i.e. at the side) the new ends to the good wood on the beam, using bolts to bolt the existing beam onto the new "Fishplated" end.

You do really need to cut off the affected old joist end, as the Sabot needs side space into where the existing joist is fitting: and really soak the good wood with treatment.

I would also use an Acro jack when cutting each joist as the level can drop.

Not an easy job if you are not experienced and confident.