cost for electric meter box connection..

Uncle Homer

I am in the process of buying a house and as the house has been empty for years, someone has taken away the inside meter box for the eletric supply, so i need EDF to install a meter and turn on the power... my question is how much should this cost as i get VERY differant versions from anyone i have asked..the lines are still exposed in the house so should just hook up to them ?? thankyou in advance..

If the meter has been removed, then you will need a new one, supplied by EDF. BUT - before they will fit one, you will need a C-of-C from the CONSUEL for the wiring. This will (probably) mean a complete rewire, unless the wiring currently conforms (does it?). To answer your question, quite alot!

Agree with Nick. If the house has been without a meter for a while it is very likely that the wiring will not conform with latest norms. If the tableau (consumer unit) looks anything other than space age and very modern, it is likely to be out of date as the rules were only updated a couple of years ago. Cost of a rewire will depend very much on the size and style of the house, but it WILL be big money.

Hi Uncle Homer,

We had an ancient meter (probably 60 years old) and organised a visit from EDF to supply a devi to replace it in December last year.

We were given 2 quotes, one for just replacement meter 116 euros and one for new meter plus new wiring from the road which would be placed underground and would obviously be the better option - but cost was 700 euros - phew!!!

Couldn't afford the 700 as we had only moved over here a month before and money was really tight so sent a cheque for116 euro in January which was promptly cashed - they then appeared to forget all about us until I complained and they finally came on 26th April to change it. Not too impressed as the technician has left all the ugly exposed jungle of wires at the top (this was the main reason we wanted the meter replaced)and simply added the new meter below it!

Hope this helps

Val

Val, in your case it looks as though the meter was still there and there was still an active connection. If the supply has been disconnected and the meter removed, a request for reconnection will mean EDF wanting a full CONSUEL test, which in turn usually means a full rewire.

as you said my connection has been turned of and the meter box removed, but will they put in a temp power outlet and lights to allow me to work/rewire the house and ifso is there a standard charge for this servise..Thankyou for advise