central heating

billy10

I have just received 2 quotes for putting central heating in my house in department 36 , and compared with UK (i know i should not do that ) the quotations are absolutely astranomical, my question is this , I am an engineer and I could easily put the heating in myself for less than half the cost, if I did this how would i get the system certified so that my insurance is not void, incidentally I do not live in France yet but intend to next year so I am not registered in any way.

Thanks  Billy10

I should do it yourself but do not be tempted to source anything in the UK. Buy all the materials from a proper plumbers merchants (not a Brico).

If it is gas, you will probably need to get someone in to fit the gas pipe and provide the certificate of conformite (Qualigaz)

Billy10 If your in the trade and you have a big white van i would source quite a bit of the materials in the uk useing your trade discounts [plus putting the materials through your books.] if your slightly dishonest?. With 40/49% trade on rads 25/30% on Hep20/Per, zone valves ,pump etc etc .But not the boilers,unless the internal wireing conforms.If you are going to install gas heating, propane etc the boiler/ flueing/ventilation/gas line from tank to boiler has to be inspected/ passed before they will fill the tank for the first time which is no problem.[if its installed correctly].,The regs are just about the same as corgi except the gas must be brazed. As for installation i would  design/install the system to the french slightly antiquated way for ins/resale purpose.But still shop around, taps, mixers,showers, sanitary ware are half the price of uk.Pont P Fr owns Jewsons/ Grahams builders merchants uk.so its easy to compare the prices.Michael.

If you refer to the first thread in this section (posted by Opal Fruit) you will find copious advice on this subject.

If you decide on oil-fired heating, all you must do to conform to French regs. is to arrange for an engineer from your chosen oil supplier to commission and set-up the boiler: they will also issue a certificate.

Gas is a wee bit more demanding. I would be careful here and research this thoroughly. In any case, gas is far more expensive than oil in France.

Personally, I would buy a French boiler, since if it goes wrong, you would have warranty and service problems. Since you must have your boiler serviced and set-up once a year (insurance and safety), by a French qualified person, I don't see how you could do this with a UK sourced unit?

Thanks Glue stick, what I think I might do is shop around locally in France just to see if my quotes are heavily Brit adjusted before I mak a move, if I cant get a decent quote I will go for oil fit it myself and take the advice of another reply and get the guy from the oil supplier to set up and commision the boiler so it gets a certificate.

Cheers

Billy10

Billy:

Just a few more crumbs of information already gleaned by myself.

I had two separate quotes: they were both in the region of € 11.500,00. Both used "Top Dollar" materials.

I was advised that nearly all French oil boilers use the Lamborghini "guts", thus the expensive Chappi boiler I was quoted for was only a standard Lamborghini, with a different case and covered with electronics which go wrong! In the end, I costed all the materials at circa € 4.700,00. Bear in mind that the TVA was 19.6% for me: and only 5% for the plombieres, as the house is old. Which makes their quote even more expensive.

Brico Depot are undoubtedly the cheapest for materials.