window renovations

toni

The barn next door to us is being renovated for gites and is directly attached to our house. On a visit last week I noticed that the barn window which overlooks our front courtyard on the first floor has been reopened and clear glass inserted. I thought there was some sort of regulation on this-ie that frosted glass had to be used when one property directly overlooks another. Having done a search on the site here I see there is a brief ref to this area on another post but the link isn't working so any help would be much appreciated.

Hi

Before the question can be answered as to any permissions they need, you might clarify the situation,

What do you mean by reopened ? it was boarded up? shutters closed?,

was it frosted glass previously and been changed to clear? 

Since the barn is being renovated, one assumes a Declaration de Travaux or Permis de Construire has been obtained? The fact you are not resident is maybe one reason why you were not consulted, infact there is no obligation to consult anyone, although it surely helps alot if the neighbours are in agreement with your plans.

The window concerned was in fact in a previously derelict building and was covered with a few planks and wire-no glass. The fact that the work was underway when we purchased last year probably explains why we were not consulted. Is it possible to have a look at the permission at the marie?

[quote user="toni"]The window concerned was in fact in a previously derelict building and was covered with a few planks and wire-no glass. The fact that the work was underway when we purchased last year probably explains why we were not consulted. Is it possible to have a look at the permission at the marie?[/quote]

I'm sure you can confirm any permissions regarding the renovations, don't know how it will help though?

I don't think any permission is needed to remove the planks covering it, as to the glass I dont think any permission for that either, only significant changes need permission.

toni wrote

<< The barn next door to us is being renovated for gites and is directly attached to our house. On a visit last week I noticed that the barn window which overlooks our front courtyard on the first floor has been reopened and clear glass inserted. >>

One thing that isn't clear is whether the window faces directly onto your courtyard. In other words, if you draw a line out at right angles to the building starting at that window does it cross your land?

I would expect (I'm no expert on this aspect of French law) that the windows of 'terraced' properties would be treated differently from those facing directly onto a neighbour's land.

Yes Albert, to answer your question our house is overlooked by the window. It is in a sort of terrace but our house is 'stepped back' from the others giving it a  small private front courtyard with the walls of the houses on either side forming two sides of the square. The windows of the house to our other side which look onto our courtyard are all frosted so I had assumed that those of the house being develpoed would be also

[quote user="toni"]The window concerned was in fact in a previously derelict building and was covered with a few planks and wire-no glass. The fact that the work was underway when we purchased last year probably explains why we were not consulted. Is it possible to have a look at the permission at the marie?[/quote]

Hells teeth, there is nothing like getting 1/2 the story....

Outside the property, there should be a board with a permis number on it. (If there isn't, they are committing an offence). Ask at the Mairie for the plans associated with that number. If, of course, the permis was approved before you bought the house, then there is owt you can do about it (assuming they have stuck to the permis).

I would suggest that you get all your facts in place before you go making complaints - this is France, you know!

Sorry to raise your hackles Nick, but I simply wanted to find out if there are any general regulations governing what type of glass should be used when one property overlooks another - I will consult the Marie as you suggested. As for complaining I don't believe I indicated any intention to do so, I would just like to know the general rules before approaching the owners next door.