extension within boundary

sharkhunter

Hi all, just a quick question, i hope!! A friend has asked me about building a small extension on the side of their house, i am not sure of the laws re this so i said i would ask here on the forum. Basically they want to extend for a utility room/ storage with hot/cold water and waste disposal ( mains )their boundary is about twelve feet from side of house tapering away to about nine feet at the back, can they build to the limit of their property?

The adjacent land has recently been built on for new housing if that is of any consequence, thanks in advance, Hugh.

PS reading back i forgot to mention that it is a two storey house and they want a single storey extension and they have vehicular access at the moment for parking.

Firstly, the usual caveat: talk to the mairie.

Secondly, the usual rule in France is that you can construct ON the boundary or at least 3 metres (10 feet) from it. There are more complicated bits depending on windows.

Obviously a lot of old houses in France are at all sorts of distances from their boundaries but new construction (and I expect extensions) must follow the rules. In your friend's case there is no obvious reason why they should not fill in the gap between the house and the boundary, but definitely talk to the Mairie and don't do anything without the permis de construire.

We decided we needed a boiler room tacked on to one end of the house. Regulations are as AtheIP says: build exactly to the boundary or 3 metres (or more) from it. Our boundary slopes so, keeping 3metres from the boundary, the front of the boiler room is about 7 ft wide and the back about 12 ft wide. We had to get a variation on our existing PdeC.

We have a similar query.  Our PdeC was granted in December 2005 but the builders have not yet started (hopefully in a week or two).  However, we have now decided that we would like a balcony/terrace added to the side of our house (it is well within the boundary) and would not overlook anyone - dimensions about 3 metres x 4 metres.  However, because we do not want to give the builder any excuse to delay the build further is it possible to go directly to the Mairie and ask for permission to add this balcony or will we have to submit an new application to our local planning office. Also, for reasons stated earlier, would it be better to get the build underway before speaking to the Mairie about any proposed changes?

We were about 6 months into the renovations when we decided we needed our extension so no, you don't need to delay your start date. Absolutely, definitely not! Get them there and work underway!

Anyway, you will probably need an additional devis to cover the new work and if your artisans are anything like ours, that'll take a month to appear. Your PdeC may have to be amended to include the balcony / terrace but ask at your Mairie as they're best place to advise what you need. You may not need any separate permission. Which would be nice, wouldn't it?[:)]