un système d’assainissement autonome

fulcrum

I thought I would post this as sewer systems and connections are a very important subject when renovating or purchasing  here in France.

The term for a septic tank or what is known by most UK residents in France as a "Fosse Septique" is actually written as "un système d’assainissement autonome" in any documentation I have been reading over the last few days.

In all the materiaux construction catalogues they are referred to as fosses septiques.  A fosse septique is a fosse septique.  Perhaps the authorities whose documentation you have been wading through have their own bureau-speak which bears little relationship to the real world!

I think you'll find that the fosse septique is the actual tank whereas the "systeme...."  is a term describing the whole system including septic tank, ventilation, grease trap and drainage field.

Thanks for all the replies. I posted the original message due to confusion in reading my copy of a "sous signe" when purchasing a house.

Because it didn't state "Fosse septique" but "un systeme autonome par tout a l'egouts" it was difficult to pick up when reading the original contract.

I am actually connecting my house to a "regarde de visite" on the pavement outside and the  fosse has to be disconnected.

[quote user="Cassis"]Any system 'par tout à l'egout' is mains drainage, nothing to do with a 'fosse septique' ...

[/quote]

Cassis

You are absolutely right. That is why I posted my original message.

It was for anyone who might be looking for Fosse Septique to be written in their contract. They may not see "Fosse Septique" but instead "un systeme autonome". Mine had the additional confusing "un systeme autonome par tout a l'egouts".

As you say, they havent got anything to do with each other. But seeing as fosses are being condemned where there are tout a l'egouts. You need to know of possible wording that can be misleading.