Emtying Fosses septique

laika

I'm sure the answer is already on the forum but here goes. With a great deal of effort I have uncovered my fosse septique (loo only) Its round, concrete, 1000l capacity but  with no hatch to give access for emptying, and the guys are comming toe empty it on monday or tuesday.  My French neighbour is very happy to take a chisel to the top and cement on a capping after it has been emptied. The problem is that the overflow smells, even though vast ammounts of WCNet's special  bacteria have been  sacrificed to the fosse deity. Is my French neighbour sane?  Am I too fussy? Should I just give in to "local knowledge"?  

When you say, "The overflow smells" what do you actually mean by overflow?

The only "Overflow" you should have is the outlet pipe to the distribution field. This takes the clear liquid away.

If a fosse smells particularly, it is normally from the vent pipe, which ideally should be above roof level. Depends where it's sited, of course.

Since you do need access, from time to time, obviously a good idea to cut some form of hatch.

Since it will be pre-cast concrete, from what you say, I'd probably use a large angle grinder with a stone/concrete cutting disk, rather than a cold chisel!

My friend had similar problems: fosse blocked and constant back-flushes back into the loo. Most unpleasant as he had a house full!

In the end he, some French neighbours and an English friend who was a building inspector, finally discovered the fosse...............................................under a concrete and beautifully tiled terrace!

One new fosse septique later.................................

There does seem a confliction here, too. All the info I have managed to cull, has one lot of "Authorities" stating that the fosse won't require emptying if it is working properly. Whereas the opposite side stoutly maintain it needs total emptying once every three or four years.[8-)]

Anyone have some specific data on this?

Edit: P.S.

I have since searched and found that under the new regs, apparently every fosse has to be emptied once each four years. Thus the "leave it alone if it's working well" idea, seems now to be consigned to the same theory file as the "Chuck dead rabbits, moles, foxes etc" into your fosse.

Some good news. I was very nervous, particularly after having dug out by hand tonnes of saturated clay in order to find and uncover the fosse septique.  My French neighbour was very happy to take a hammer and chisel to the whole affair on the understanding that Vidage Blancoise who were coming on Monday or Tuesday ( tomorrow or the day after) would expect the fosse to be ready for emptying. .  However, just as we were off to Chateauroux on Saturday (yesterday) afternnoon, a tanker arrived. The driver was only too happy to apply his hammer and chisel and lo and behold he uncovered beneath lumps of mortar a nicely fitting circular hatch.  Maybe I was just lucky, another driver and who knows. Having inspected the contents of  my fosse I would advise anyone who doesn't know the history of their installation, to get it emptied straight away, no matter how many packets of whatever you have flushed down the loo.Every four years I shall very happly pay out 170euros, although I must work out how to reduce the digging invoved.  Take care