Roofers terminology

We have a devis, well 3 to be precise, for work to our house roof (Charente Maritime) and also to the stone barns. I get most of the drift, but I am stumped by some of the words/expressions used:

Fourniture et pose de lambourde

Fourniture et pose de pannes 13 x 28

couverture en tuiles canal stop

mouchettes

tuilles a  douille  (a accent aigu - can't type it)

rive saintogeaise

The prices seem pretty good, but I don't really know what I'm getting - so could some kind soul translate these words so I can make sense of 20,000 euros of quotations.

Well, this wasn't one of these sloppy questions which are often asked without any research. I consulted an A level student, a 3rd year French undergraduate, 2 dictionaries, babel-fish and reverso. Even "Renovating & Maintaining Your French Home" - Joe Laredo drew a blank.

I forgot about google.fr.

I gave it a go, read a bit between the lines and got my answers.

Thanks for reading anyway.

How big is your roof? Mine is approx 130 m2 and I've just had a quote to strip and replace any damaged tiles ,replace two of the main ridge beams,replace all the tile battens,replace two cracked side beams,new guttering front and back with downpipes all for 12500 euros. Sounded pretty good to me but wondered what everyone else thought ?

Matt

We had ourroof done last Dec / Jan. All new Douglas fir chevrons, chestnut boarded, felted and insulated, new tiles (Roman Canal) and a part new ridge beam plus one new oak hip beam - cost about €18,000 for 180m2. Done by an artisan too!

Warren

Devis 1 - Barn - 61m2 - All new roof timbers & beams & canal tiles -  €9100

Devis 2 - Barn 2 / outhouses - 77m2 - All new roof timbers & beams & canal tiles -  €6400

Devis 3 - Main House - 94m2 (rear part only) - new battens & canal tiles, Overhaul only main roof (about 90m2). Supply and install 2 x velux, 2 x glass tiles, 2 x vents - €5400

Total - €20900

Quotes from local (all french) firm.

You really need a roofer from this particular region to translate because the words are regional. We have different words here in Finistère for roofing than other regions of France too, otherwise I would have helped you,but they are not our local words. This is of course why you won't find any of them in a standard english/french dictionary. You could try looking in a local bookshop at the bricolage section to see if they are mentioned as well.

Thank you for the regional slant - it hadn't occured to me. I think I've sorted out most of it. "Mouchettes" for example has been translated as "snuffers". What's a snuffer? Well, I don't know; but I've worked out that a mouchette is the lowermost tile on the roof (the one nearest the gutter) which has its end filled with sand and cement.

I think so anyway.