Using woodburners

maude

Hi Folks can someone enlighten me on the correct use of a Godin foyer woodburner?the local agent said all 4 air vents should be shut once the burner is fired up and running as enough air gets in to complete the combustion process.However we seem to make much general house muck and very smoky glass,and although economic on wood(since hiked up in price this year) it doesnt seem to be satisfactory.Thanks, Maude[8-)]

Hi Maude, I didn't really understand your post fully - but I'll try and reply as nobody else seems to have (as yet).

Any woodburner should be used as your man told you: open the vents whilst it gets going; gradually close them until it's burning properly and finally close the vents completely when the fire is very hot and drawing well.

If you are getting a load of smoke behind the glass then either the fire isn't drawing properly (sometimes the weather's fault) or you're not using good dry wood. Try giving it a while longer to get going or perhaps leave the vents partialy open and see how you go on.

I have experienced fires that just 'won't work' properly and it could be down to location/fitting.

What wood are you using and what's your method for getting it going? How long are you using the fire for, each time?

Sorry if any of that sounds patronising. Any woodburner should follow the same basic best practice principles, I doubt it's specific to your model and Godin are very good burners anyhow.

Good luck!