New rules for Stove Installation?

Harley

There have been a number of cases of asphyxiation where woodburners have been installed is well sealed houses without a "prise de l'air". I thought that this had always been included in the regulations but it many houses it is not easy do due to thick walls. It needs to be located close to the woodburner to avoid through draughts.

I agree with the other posts, adequate ventilation is essential with any heating system (other than electric I suppose). It is even more important with gas or petrol stoves, which are usually free standing, than with a built-in woodburner.

Are we talking about one of the 'insert' type wodburners, that has a system for blowing warm air out into the room, and possibly into other parts of the house via ducting? They are very good but obviously will need ventilation so that cool air can enter the system to be warmed up.

Professional installation is a good idea for other reasons beside safety. Firstly, you will be able to benefit from the lower TVA rate (5.5%) - which is how the people we bought our woodburner from were able to install it at no extra charge. Secondly, you may be able to benefit from a tax refund given for installing 'green' heating (e.g. wood) if you are a French taxpayer. Under this scheme you need to have the heating supplied and installed by a registered company.

When I had my wood burner installed last Jan both the guy doing the quote and then the guy doing the installation checked for decent ventilation. The guy doing the installation checked the ventilation before starting doing anything.

Don't know about the regulations but seems little point in installing something that would be at best "less effective" and at worse "plain dangerous".

(Tax refund is on the cost of the wood burner only - does not include installation costs nor accessory costs such as the chimney/flue tube, etc.. However, it is still very worthwhile, particularly if you are getting a decent one. I thought I was getting a 40% refund but the paperwork I then got said 50% so I guess I'll have to wait until next year to see what the tax people actually use/give)

Ian

We have just recently had a new gas water heater fitted to replace an old existing one. The old one survived without a ventilation duct, but the plumber had to fit a new brick and duct through the house/sous sol (kitchen upstairs in middle of house), to comply with modern regulations.

Keni & Chris