Roofing grants

Tim

We have a house on the border between Charente and Dordogne just by Aubeterre. We are going to reroof our old farmhouse and have been told that we can get a grant for this. I have been to the Marie who really have been no help at all.Just gave me an A4 sheet with details of a company who will try to help you invest in building!!! Any body out there been thru this hoop if so please throw me a line....Tim

If you do a search you will find that this has been covered before, albeit some months ago now, but in a nutshell, you can get a grant for a new roof in 12 and probably other departments but subject to  a lot of conditions and  local budgets and it is also means and age tested.  It must be your main residence for a start but it can also apply to gites within your property, however, the main condition that knocks most people out of the reckoning who are not elderly, is that you must  make the house available for local social housing requirements and it must be available for use as temporary housing for homeless peole on short and long term lets.  So if you are going to live on your own in your own house and are a not a poor elderley person, there are no grants for roof replacements at the moment, although it is possible that the scheme to regenerate rural houses in 2000 where grants were available may be resurrected at some stage in the future, but since then the English have bought all the wrecks and it will not be mnecessary to repeat it[:P].

Welive in 12 and our Maire told us about grants available later this year (November), including roofing, insulation, drainage, and crepe. He didn't tell us how to get a grant though - that was months ago and it didn't seem worth asking at such an early stage. Bound to be strings attached, though.

Would have replied earlier, but at the time you only had one reply and I got a bit scared.....

• 1 month later...

Would much appreciate any info on roofing grants. We live in dept 17, are on a very low income; my husband is on a longterm disbility pension from the UK and has had MS for 25 years. we own our own 200/300 year old house here and thought we'd covered everything...however this latest heavy rain has made us realise that we can't avoid a new roof. as the drips have sprung to more than that now and in numerous places!..we have some savings for it but it seems not enough, plus he's not physically able to climb up and do repairs/adjust tiles himself..

We try to be as independant as we can and for the most part do very well. This roof situation has just been a bit of a shock as we thought we'd allowed for every eventuality as we've had to do for many years...clearly not now!

Any advice as to where or who we contact for any kind of grant/assistance would be much appreciated.