Buying paint

Mark

I buy different paints (for different things) at different places. Some types of paint in large supermarkets, some types at particular DIY stores, other types at other DIY stores.

In my experience quality and price varies quite a lot and over time your find the best price for decent quality. In my case I have not found specific brands "for everything" but different ones for different jobs and different outlets. I have found the French paint is not that different (price wise) from UK paint provided you shop appropriately. You can certainly get the same quality for similar price (or even cheaper sometimes) but unlike in the UK you have to be careful about brands and outlet.

Certainly not "much of a muchness" as some types in some places are terrible.

Ian

Ah-ha!  Usual story!  I'm after external paint only at this point - some to paint the front of the house, and some to paint the shutters.  I'll just do a bit of research.  Anything to stop Squidge importing Farrow and Ball from GB!!!! 

I painted our shutters (metal and wood) with a cream paint that was supposed to be used for painting the outside of the house and it worked a treat.....*causes palpitations amongst renovation purists*

Bought from castorama.... if you're interested I can go to the barn and ascertain the make.....(once it stops raining)

We used a microporous paint when I stripped and repainted our shutters.  Excellent coverage and no problems yet (after 2 years it looks as good as new once you wash the bird poop off).  It was not dear.  I'll have a look for the make in the morning when I go for the bread.