Devis

Department71

Dear Steve I have only been here since 2001.  I appreciate what you are trying to do and of course you can try to insert a date for completion...............you can try.

However there are very much more senior members on this forum than I but my experience is that this is France and the way things happen here are almost impossible to change.

Logic would suggest that the artisan would be grateful for the work and thus he will be beating down your door to do the work and get your cheque in his bank account.

Thats the logic reality is something else.  The work will perhaps be done when the artisans feels able to do the work.  Obviously a good relationship with the artisan emphasis upon the need etc will do wonders but I am not sure if you will be able to impose your own deadlines.

By way of example we had grand ideas for outside lighting in that we live in an isolated position and when I am back home in the UK on business we thought it important that my wife at least had some lighting down the driveway towards the gate that sort of thing.  Then thought a repeat exercise in the back garden then power to the greenhouse then some lighting by the bbq area.  That was April 2006 yes some of the work has been done..........the greenhouse.

I emphasised the importance of security for my wife a shrug of the shoulders and despite calling on him phoning him seeing his wife in the market just dropping hints to his friends and neighbours still nothing else has happened!

That is the way it is.  However we are now moving further south so tomorrow I have to tell him nicely that I am moving so do not need the work and which incidentally was quite a considerable sum.

He might now arrive but I do not now need the work so we shall see what happens.  I think I am liable to him under a contract for there was no stipulated date in the devis but I feel sure he will let me off the hook.

regards