hot water tank (chauffe eau) lagging

Dc

[quote user="Dc"]

Our tank is in a very cold part of the house is it worth lagging the tank to keep the water hotter or would I be wasting my time. Any advice greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

[/quote]

Tank itself won't need lagging unless it is very old; Most French chauffe eaus have a polystyrene insulation between inner and outer metal skin and problems will only occur when the tank is left cold and unused , whereby draining down is the better option. It would be worth lagging the pipes of course where they enter/exit the C/E.

I agree with Albert and saddie.

We had a French visitor in England not long before we came here, and he was intrigued then delighted by the lagging on our tank. He used a word which I think meant 'quaint' which was generous, if you think about it.[:)]

I disc cut one in half to remove it easier, what I found inside was very interesting:

Outer skin thin guage electropainted steel, insulation layer some kind of vermiculite granules, inner skin 1/4" welded steel, then finally about as much calcium carbonate inside as insulation outside - I live in a very chalky area.

The inner pressuer vessel had corroded through and there was evidence of rust staining around the grope de securite, I would reccomend that people keep an eye out for this as by then the inner insulation will be sodden.

I fitted a French ballon to a flat in England, despite being very small and having less mass effect than the larger ones it kept most of its heat for 5 days after use so they are very well insulated.

I have also had French visitors laugh when seeing a UK cylinder.

My biggest laugh was when I showed a rich friend the prices of  French ballons, he had previously paid £2000 during a renovation to have " a wonderful new pressurised system", he did not share my pleasure to see that he in fact had an £80 ballon albeit with an expansion vessel!

Editted: Not a good day for my spelling but i quite like some of the mistakes!

Forum software getting on my nerves again!

Permission Expired: Post Delete Permission Expired

The

administrator(s) have configured this forum to have a time limit for

deleting messages. If you still require a message to be deleted, please

check with a forum moderator.

About a tenth of a second!