isolation des murs

GUEPE

hi can anyone offer advice on inner  wall insulation ?i have to insulate a room i am converting into a bedroom .it has block walls and i like the look of the dab and fix idea that isover produce .is it as easy as it looks?i have built an extension using plasterboard in the uk before .and the panels seem quite cheap!about  14euros per  8 by 4 ish sheet thanks for any opinions on this .merci john

[quote user="GUEPE"]

hi can anyone offer advice on inner  wall insulation ?i have to insulate a room i am converting into a bedroom .it has block walls and i like the look of the dab and fix idea that isover produce .is it as easy as it looks?i have built an extension using plasterboard in the uk before .and the panels seem quite cheap!about  14euros per  8 by 4 ish sheet thanks for any opinions on this .merci john

[/quote]

Polystyrene isn't a particularly good sound insulator, but it is good thermally - if sound insulation is important to you, then I'd go for soft insulation (rockwool or fibreglass), but this can't be dot & dab'd so easily.

The other problem I encountered with dab and fix is lining up the edges of two plasterboards,making it very difficult to tape and joint.I would build it in metal ,and insulate with the yellow isolant,made for the job.It has worked for me. pogo

hi pogo .i suppose that everything would have to be perfectly square for the plasterboards to meet up properly .i was thinking of plastering the whole room afterwards .but not me personally .isover also say that you can screw! these sandwhich boards into wooden beams?i have a friend in cornwall who runs a plastering buisness .i have watched him work in an average room ie 15 by 15 in the uk the time between the first coat and the finish coat is exactly the time it takes to" roll a fag,and have a cup of builders tea!what timing!and its a perfect job . ha,ha.merci  pour le aider    john.

When I do mine I shall use metal stud, not sure how well dabbing would work with a polystyrene backed board if you wanted a fire rated compartment or to reduce the variation in levels you could double board  and stagger the joints.

I have been pondering the problems with potential rising damp and the use of membrane etc, however I am told the French do a ready mix that is waterproof?....can it be true??????

Happy days

rising damp - think you should leave a gap between the floor and the bottom of the placo plat and get hydrofugee plasterboard which is damp resistant and they also putbreathing holes in the placo to let it all breath apparantly you can get little plastic covers for the breathing holes

Thanks Shimble,

Interesting.....  however I will probably fasten the sole plates through 30mm cellotex and allow the board to protude in order that I can fasten the Placo the 30mm off the deck while avoiding thermal bridge.

I am using plastic "egg box" type vertical dpm and a tyvek vapour barrier as well as fibre glass batts so hopefully we will be toastie.

I am considering the vent Idea though as I have high skirtings they may look unsightly.

Cheers