xxx Differentiels

Deimos

I always thought there was only one type of RCB (ignoring the type A or type AC), but now find there are Disjoncteur Differentiels (which do not seem to distinguish between types A and AC) and Interrupteur Differentiels (available in types A and AC)

What is the difference between the "Disjoncteur" and "Interrupteur" types ? (I have an electrician visiting today to quote for installing one so I want to make sure I ask for the right thing - and I have a 3 phase supply). Normally I would do this type of thing myself but I am less sure about one on a 3 phase supply (i.e. the single RCB handles all 3 phases). I'm after the type that is at the power entry to the fuse box and protects everything supplied by the fuse box. I have a suspicion that I need an Interrupteur Differential but I'm not 100%

Ian

not sure either but from what i can understand the disjonteur differentials are used to protect the freezer and your computer a seperate disjonteur for the freezer with a  single line going only to the freezer and a disjoncter for your computer installation with a single line going to your comptuters in theory they should protect each line eliminating problems from the rest of the electric circuit so that your freezer and computers will not trip if there is a problem else where. as far as three phase goes probablybest to let the leccy sort it out or get some good advice before you play with it hope this helps wish i understood it betterbut its all in french 

You need the interupteur diff and not the disjoncteur diff.

The difference between the two.......

An Interrupteur Differentiel or (RCB  in UK) gives your circuit earth fault protection only and works by measuring the flow and return currents in a circuit. If there is any fault current flowing to earth, it will trip out all that is connected to it. There are two mains types, Type A and type AC (although other type exist too).

A Disjoncteur differentiel has all the same properties as above but also gives overload and short circuit protection to the circuit. So basically a disj diff is a combined unit. They are usually much more expensive that a standard inter diff.

The EDF incoming unit is a good example of a Disj diff, as it affords earth fault protection at 500 milliamps trip current together with overload protection to whatever current you have subscribed to - ie; 30amp, 45amp, 60 amp etc.

Paul.

The above post is interesting Paul. That was my understanding, if I ever stopped to think about it, but I just bought what the books said[;-)]

That said, why is it, then, that INTERRUPTEUR differentielles are current rated? When I bought mine, they seemed to be available in 30A and 45A.[8-)]

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

The above post is interesting Paul. That was my understanding, if I ever stopped to think about it, but I just bought what the books said[;-)]

That said, why is it, then, that INTERRUPTEUR differentielles are current rated? When I bought mine, they seemed to be available in 30A and 45A.[8-)]

[/quote]

They are current rated because they have to pass the full load curent of the installation through them and so a 25 amp one for example would have smaller terminals and use up less copper in manufacturing than a 63 amp one - hence would be cheaper to buy .  If you tried to pass 60 amps through a 25 amp one, it would get very hot and probably burn out but would not necesarily trip out like a disjonctuer diff.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

When buying an interrupteur differentail for a 3 phase supply, does the rating apply to each phase or all three phases. i.e. if purchasing a 40A one, does this men 40A per phase (i.e. 120A in total is all phases are running at their limit) or 40/3 per phase or 40 A total across all three phases (i.e. phase 1 load + phase 2 load + phase 3 load cannot exceed 40A).

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

When buying an interrupteur differentail for a 3 phase supply, does the rating apply to each phase or all three phases. i.e. if purchasing a 40A one, does this men 40A per phase (i.e. 120A in total is all phases are running at their limit) or 40/3 per phase or 40 A total across all three phases (i.e. phase 1 load + phase 2 load + phase 3 load cannot exceed 40A).

Ian

[/quote]

It applies to the individual current it can pass through either pole. ie; a 40amp one will take up to 40 amps via each phase. As an example, If your EDF supply was three phase 12 kw (or 60 amps) , and you wanted to fit a three phase inter diff, it would be rated at 20 amps 4 pole. Or you coulf fit a 32 amp 4 pole - it makes no difference.