Habitable areas ?

robcarol

Im drawing plans to convert a barn into our dwelling, i have looked at a very lot of usefull links on what to submit for the planning and the the filling in of the forms. The barn is 14m x 10m with an upstairs, which would take it well over the 170m mark, i know the actuall staircase can be taken off SHOB, my question is,,,,,  Is a hallway and a galleryed landing classed as part of the habitable area,as with an en-suit and a utillity room.Can all of these areas be deducted from the SHOB,

Cheers Rob.

I asked the same question recently R&C and it was the general view that the figure applies to habitable rooms, so does not include the stairs, landing, hall etc. One view also said that bathrooms/toilets were not included.

Good, isn't it.................................................[:)]

We had an architect draw up our plans. We have a large entrance hall, big enough to be a dining hall. The British-drawn plans we gave him showed a representation of a dining table and chairs in the entrance hall. He laughed and told us he'd not include that on his plans because you don't pay tax on a vestibule but you would if it looked like a dining room. In the event, I've decided running up and downstairs to a dining table from the kitchen was a stupid idea so it is 10% a vestibule... and 90% a general dumping area. He also said (but we were sure he was joking [blink]) that if we had a tap (basin optional?) in each bedroom, we wouldn't pay for those either. [;-)] We too have been told that bathrooms and loos are excluded from the calculation.