valuations.

hi folks!we need a fairly sensible valuation of our house here in france.Had 3 agencies to look-but about as much use as double pneumonia!Their figures varied by over 50% which is complete rubbish.I have heard that Notaires are the ones to ask for a valuation.Has anyone gone down this route,or I might as well dream up a figure and stick out for it.The agents all said that it was difficult to sell older houses so bottom prices,and yet when visiting to purchas all of a sudden the prices skyrocket!.I know business is business but my last 5 years experience with agents and their apparent lack of decent marketing skills and very poor photography-   which starts getting people interested in the firstplace,leaves me reaching for the red stuff!!!!Or even Hashish!Any experiences welcome.thanks   Maude

Hi Maude.We had a similar problem,valuations between €120k and €165k,but we found our 'average'(ish!) and then placed the property on web sites privately,as well as agents.We had about 25 viewings,to about 2 with the agents,and we sold privately within 6 months,not a bad time for France.As you say,marketing skills?????[8-)].One agent was asked several weeks ago to drop the price by €10k,but it is still up for the original price on their web site.Another agent has NEVER contacted us for any reason,good bad,of price check. D.I.Y[:D]