Planning permission not required inside the house?

Cherl

Can someone just confirm that you can do pretty much what you like inside a house, regarding modernisation (not a complete renovation)without any planning permission. I am thinking in terms of  an extra bathroom/taking down a partition wall.

I thought I read that you only needed planning permission if it changed the outside appearance, i.e. a dormer window in a loft conversion, but anything inside you could do freely, pretty much as in the UK.

What happens in the case of a property joined to another, i.e. semi-detached cottage, or flat? Do you have to get permission from the immediate neighbours for any internal  building/alteration works?

Cherl

When we wanted to install a shower room upstairs, we went to the mairie and asked if we needed planning permission. They said that we didn't provided the exterior appearance of the house was unchanged. They wanted us to draw a plan though of what our proposals were.

We are now proud possesors of a set of plans which has the mairie stamp on them which confirms that we don't need planning permission.

I expect it varies from commune to commune.

Hoddy

Not quite right...

A form called H1 form asks the owner to describe the dwelling in order to assess its rating category.

The categories were last rated in the 70's when having 1 WC and 1 bathroom was seen as OK, having 2 or more was a luxury...

If you add a bathroom / WC and /or increase the liveable space by removing

cupboards, install central heating... you are liable to an increase in

your taxe (EDITED to) foncière .

Technically, these changes should be declared for a new assessment to be done on the property.

Try a search on H1 in the "house restoration" and "finance" forums.

Sorry: I have now edited taxe d'habitation to taxe foncière

Indeed![:)]

I was asked to complete a new H1 form after installing an above-ground pool (subject to a déclaration de travaux, which automatically kicks a H1 follow-up).

I truthfully declared that the property had central heating, not knowing that the previous owner had never declared its installation.

I was informed that the addition of CH had pulled the property into a higher rating category.

The previous owner had got away with it for about 12 years...[Www]

I wish you hadn't posted this.  We've got another year to go on our 'tax free' period following deposition of the H1 for the changes to our house. 

I'm really looking forward to finding out what the addition of 2 more bedrooms and three bathrooms has done to our taxes.

[:D]

[quote user="Cassis"]II'm really looking forward to finding out what the addition of 2 more bedrooms and three bathrooms has done to our taxes.
[:D]
[/quote]

ask not what the addition has done to your taxes, ask what it has done to your finances!  first things first, eh?

[quote user="Cherl"]

Can someone just confirm that you can do pretty much what you like inside a house, regarding modernisation (not a complete renovation)without any planning permission. I am thinking in terms of  an extra bathroom/taking down a partition wall.

I thought I read that you only needed planning permission if it changed the outside appearance, i.e. a dormer window in a loft conversion, but anything inside you could do freely, pretty much as in the UK.

What happens in the case of a property joined to another, i.e. semi-detached cottage, or flat? Do you have to get permission from the immediate neighbours for any internal  building/alteration works?

Cherl[/quote]

Simply-No, you cant do what you want as regards renovation inside the property.

To keep it as short as possible you have to notify the mairie so they will decide if you need permission not to need permission or otherwise. You cant hide this information because (leglislation) at point of sale at some point in your life time or others a comparison is made on how property differs from previous. I have sat in as translator with the notaire over a number of property transactions over the years with English. My last three were delayed either because of above (one fell through totally) or they had to get work they had done themselves approved and signed off by an artisan (very costly), and they were informed that should there have been an accident / fire etc due to any new work detected at fault  they would have had to produce the certificate/ account of work approved if unable to have done this than the Insurance quite likely could have been invalid. The Notaire also offered a compromise to the clients (where the sale fell through) because no Artisan was prepared to Authorise a certificate/ approval for the new inrerior walls and part of roof that was built by the proprietor the Notaire said it was usual for a bond to be paid over to the Notaire and held for 3 years to cover costs should it collapse! The house was withdrawn from sale.

A lot of old farmhouses (as an example) have been reclassified as farm buildings to avoid payment of tax –look at your rate. If this is the case you will need a CU to provide agreement in principle to reinstatement of the building as a house (even though it was lived in before). This will outline any restrictions eg you may be allowed to renovate but not demolish and rebuild and if you  are reclassifying the building as a house being that its a holiday home or resident home and not farming (you cant class yourself as a farmer - have to be a registered working farmer) ,  you need a Permis de Construire. By going to your mairie all you questions will be answered . Remember that departments often differ on their interpretation on some regulations so do not hide anything because you can be sure your neighbour will know what you are up to. Please explain to your neighbour it will make your life easier.

I am fortunate that I have the facility to get drawings produced and translated into French.

The intention being to run our plans (Largely for interior alterations) by the Mairee first

I do worry though that our tax willl fly up as we will be going from 100 sq metres to 380 sq metres

Also we are going from 3 bedrooms, 1 Salle de vie and one bathroom to 5 bedrooms two en suite 2 sitting rooms a dining room a family bathroom and a large kitchen.....

Am I going to get hammered on tax? anyone like to hazard a guess by how much?