Double Glazing

Pushkin

We are having double glazing installed sometime in May.   (My thanks to people on this forum who recommended Lapeyre).  What I would like to ask is, what have other people done with their old windows?  Though ours are in need of a coat of paint they are still very sound.  They are made of cedar I think and four (pairs) of them are doubles, two panes across, four down and four much smaller single windows with four panes.  I don't want the installers just to cart them away.    I would much rather Emmaus had them.  Has anyone sold theirs and how?  I would be grateful for any information.

Sue

When we had this done in the UK some years ago the fitters broke the glass in the old windows and simply sawed through the top and bottom of the frames approximately in the centre of the frame and levered the two halves out.

They came out very quickly and very cleanly but maybe French fitters have a different method of removing old frames.

Just had double glazing put in.  The old windows were removed so that they are perfect.  I agree its a shame to chuck em.  A friend who is a retired builder uses them to make makeshift greenhouses.  We are giving them to him.   Emmaus would also be a good destination.  Save one or two and make a cold frame with them and a few bricks.  I keep meaning to do this.

Don't forget the catches, handles etc.  Take them off and save them for the next car boot you do or maybe try to reuse them somewhere, assuming they are of the old french ornate style.  Check out the prices of copy ones at Lapeyres, and be ready for a shock..............

Like Treizevzents says, cold frames come to mind.  I've got a couple of old windows sitting in the barn which one day may get put to that purpose. 

If you have a few of them of same/similar size and they are not too large, then you could hinge them together in pairs and use them as cloches (need to stick a pane of glass at each end to stop it becoming a wind tunnel).  May be too heavy for that, though, depending on the weight of the frames.

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I think they will be heading for Emmaus though as we have cold frames and a mini greenhouse.

I failed to mention that at Lapeyre, Saintes one of the assistants is a young Yorkshire man.  Though my husband speaks fluent French, I don't and technical terms would have had me completely baffled.  Is was so nice therefore to discuss exactly what we wanted without hubby having to do a running translation.  Matt was very efficient and totally knowledgeable about the subject and we were very impressed.  I am just mentioning this because other people, who haven't quite mastered the lingo, might be glad to know of an English speaking contact.  Double glazing is a hefty outlay and any mistakes are expensive ones.

Sue

[quote user="Pushkin"]

As our windows lift off their hinges there won't be any need to break them.

Sue

[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't realise you meant you were only having the opening part of the window replaced and not the frames also. Is that what they do these days?

If your frames are good why not just replace the glass with double glazed units?  Benjamin is right, you may be able take the opening parts out easily by lifting them off the hinges, but if the frames are firmly fixed to the walls they will get cut up and ripped out. 

No Ben, we are having the complete windows replaced, frames and all.  They can install them without removing the frames if that is what we wanted but we don't.  If we did then what they do, evidently, is make the windows with a surround which fits over the original frames somehow or other!  Don't ask me any more technicalities as I haven't a clue.

Ron, yes the frames will be ripped out as you say but we can save the hinges and give them with the windows to Emmaus.  There were other options but we decided on what we think is best for us and are happy with that decision.  Thank you for the alternative suggestions all the same.

I must say that the firm wasted no time.  We took in the measurements Thursday afternoon and yesterday afternoon their fitter came out from La Rochelle to measure up properly.  We had a phone call this morning from Saintes to say the original estimate stands and we have to go into the shop to sign the devi on Monday.  The windows should be ready in six weeks and they hope to fit them before the end of May.  I will let you know if all goes to plan.  If it does it will be the first time ever in France!  As, like everyone else on Living France, we have loads of visitors coming, it would be very nice if all was done and dusted before the main influx arrive.  Fortunately our friends expect the place to look like a building site so (possibly) won't be disappointed!  Perhaps I should have more faith!!

Sue

[quote user="Chippiepat"]

Don't mean to spoil your party, but have you read the other thread somewhere about the quality of Lapeyre's plumber & tiling contractor

[/quote]

Lapeyre is nationwide so the contractor in the Charente may be brilliant, but with no disrepect intended or inferred, having compared Big Mat's windows with Lapeyre's and looked at the quality of the wood and units, as with all things you get what you pay for and with Lapeyre, the quality of the sealed units is not half as good as that of Big Mat but they are not half the price.  But you pay your money and you make your choice.  As for the old opening hinged units, are they really any good to anyone without the frames except as a cold frame?

[quote user="Ron Avery"][quote user="Chippiepat"]

Don't mean to spoil your party, but have you read the other thread somewhere about the quality of Lapeyre's plumber & tiling contractor

[/quote]

Lapeyre is nationwide so the contractor in the Charente may be brilliant, but with no disrespect intended or inferred, having compared Big Mat's windows with Lapeyre's and looked at the quality of the wood and units, as with all things you get what you pay for and with Lapeyre, the quality of the sealed units is not half as good as that of Big Mat but they are not half the price.  But you pay your money and you make your choice.  As for the old opening hinged units, are they really any good to anyone without the frames except as a cold frame?

[/quote]

We don't have a Big Mat in our area.  In fact I have never heard of them but I bow to your superior knowledge Ron.  (The units are in fact plastic for ease of maintenance.  We are 'senior villagers' as our lady maire calls us). 

Having spoken to Emmaus they seem in no doubt that the windows will be of use to someone and we are to give them a ring when they become available for them to pick them up.  So at least someone is happy!

Chippiepat

It's a case of you 'pays your money and takes your chance' I suppose.  Quite a few forum members on Living France seem to have been quite happy with Lapeyre but thank you for your concern anyway.  I will report back when the job is completed.  (I'm beginning to think that perhaps I shouldn't have ventured to post on Living France once more).

TreizeVents

My husband is a fluent French speaker and has been for about 20 years.  He's even into dialects so no problem there!

Sue

[quote user="Pushkin"]

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I think they will be heading for Emmaus though as we have cold frames and a mini greenhouse.

I failed to mention that at Lapeyre, Saintes one of the assistants is a young Yorkshire man.  Though my husband speaks fluent French, I don't and technical terms would have had me completely baffled.  Is was so nice therefore to discuss exactly what we wanted without hubby having to do a running translation.  Matt was very efficient and totally knowledgeable about the subject and we were very impressed.  I am just mentioning this because other people, who haven't quite mastered the lingo, might be glad to know of an English speaking contact.  Double glazing is a hefty outlay and any mistakes are expensive ones.

Sue

[/quote]

I priced Lapeyre recently.  They do the estimate and then sub contract out to someone local.  Actually I had to drive 35k to their locale and the other people came to my house.  They were also about 15%-25% more expensive than someone local.  However, if you don't know someone local, they sometimes do a good job.  And its handy to talk to someone in English.  But the guy who fixes it, probably won't speak English.