Shower water pressure

Lindnarden

[quote user="bejay"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]
[/quote]

Or even Ohms law.

bj

[/quote]

Yes Nick ought to relate more to that and think of the pump raising the pressure (potential energy) in the same way as an increase the voltage (potential energy) would effect the power output of an electrical circuit.

I had little interest in electrical theory at college (to my cost now!) but when I got into electrics I always used to relate back to my fluid dynamics knowledge (still do now sometimes) as it is exactly the same as principal electrical theory, just a little wetter!

In my opinion the pipes are too small and/or furred up. I have better flow from a shower on my second floor using new pipes than from an identical one on the ground floor with the same size but old pipes.

Don't forget that with a mains pressurized system the pressure (and hence flow) will drop the higher the shower is placed above ground level. In a similar way that in the UK a shower on the ground floor will be more effective than the first floor if fed from the storage tank in the loft. 

God, I must be bored.... but;

In the simple model of a "straight" pipe with a fixed and unchanging diameter, and constant pressure at one end (as in this shower), then the volume that flows through the pipe is fixed. Both Boyle & Bernoulli say this. Bernoulli, however is better applied to pipes that change diameter (or waterfalls!) - where the pressure will change - whilst the volume doesn't.

So, yep, the problem is the pipe - the whole pipe - and it must all be replaced - even a mm of restricted diameter will reduce the volume.

No?

Get a life Nick.....

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Last time I looked I had between 1 and 1.5 bar (I have a gauge on my boiler - that's the water heater, not the OH) and it was plenty[/quote]

I think the pressure gauge on the boiler is for the pressure of the water in the boiler/CH system not the incoming water pressure (i.e. it gives the pressure in the "closed" part of the system. This, when I bleed air from the system on mine this pressure drops. I have been told by the plumber that this should normally be around 1.5 bar (or a bit lower) and to "top-up" (very occasionally) I open the tap to the mains water when the pressure then starts o increase and the higher mains pressure pushes more water into the closed parts of the CH/boiler.

Ian

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="bejay"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]I rather think that Bernoulli is more relevant than Boyle in this case.

[/quote]

Or even Ohms law.

bj

[/quote]

Bernoulli is certainly relevent to Ohm's law, but I am not convinced that it is to th OP's problem. How so, Steve?

[/quote]

I'm trying to get my head round Bernoulli being relevant to ohms law [8-)]

Bernoulli is certainly more relevent to hydro dynamics that Boyles gas law is, however whichever way you look at the OPs original problem, the answer is that the pipes are too small. [:)]

It's all very complicated so listen carefully:

1/    More water runs through big pipes than little ones.

2/    big shower heads need more water than little ones

3/    erm, that's about it really.

oh look; it's not that complicated after all !

p