emersion heaters (cumulus electrique)

whitey

hi,

we currently have a hot water tank con[:P]trolled by a three way immersion heater switch. ( i think thats what it is anyway!!) it has an on off and automatic switch, which, when on automatic switches on with the low night time tariff at 10pm ( i think it must be factory set as there appears to be no timer on the switch itself) we are putting another tank upstairs and want to get the same kind of thing, if anyone knows where we can get them and what the proper name for them is i would be really grateful. thanks again for any help. mel.

Hope life is good.

They are contactor nuit/jour & you can get them at any brico. They are basically a relay, with the switching done by contacts in the meter, which is controlled by a signal sent down the electricity lines by EDF.

In addition to the contactor N/J, you will need a 2A disjonctor differential to supply the contactor N/J and a 20A DD for the water heater (a chauffe-eau or ballon) itself.

As well as the three way switch you will probably have :

A normal 20 amp disjointer taking power form the mains and feeding a three way switch, (A)

A Sectionment Fil Pilote rated at 2 amps which goes off to the main connection and has a neutral which links with

The 'Multi 9 or what ever the feed  (C) this has a neutral link to the SFP and a small gauge power link from the mains coinnection. And also takes in power from the 20 amp disjoiner and feeds the cylinder with power and return.

For your extra hot water cylinder you need an extra 20 amp disjointer talikings its poer as (A) above.

An Extra (C) which takes its power form the second disjointer but has live and neutral from the heures creuse wired the same way as the Multi 9 above.

The larger sheds like Leroy Merlon and Brico depot stock them. Most M. Bricolage and quinquileries has them

There is no timer because EDF send a pulse down the mains to trigger heures cruese/off peak  

[quote user="whitey"]

we are putting another tank upstairs and want to get the same kind of thing, 

[/quote]

But are you sure you need a second 'chauffe eau'? In our house we have a shower room downstairs and a bathroom with shower upstairs and both are served by the one and only chauffe eau ie ballon that is located in the garage. Ours is the normal 200 litre ballon, so nothing special size-wise, and we have found it to be adequate in our 3 bed home. We have not run out of hot water yet after nearly 2 years here and up to 5 of us here in holiday periods .

Sue

[quote user="Spg"][quote user="whitey"]

we are putting another tank upstairs and want to get the same kind of thing, 

[/quote]

But are you sure you need a second 'chauffe eau'? In our house we have a shower room downstairs and a bathroom with shower upstairs and both are served by the one and only chauffe eau ie ballon that is located in the garage. Ours is the normal 200 litre ballon, so nothing special size-wise, and we have found it to be adequate in our 3 bed home. We have not run out of hot water yet after nearly 2 years here and up to 5 of us here in holiday periods .

Sue

[/quote]

ditto

thanks for all the advice, it's been really helpful...........we are installing an extra one as in the future we may be letting ensuite rooms out so it means we can heat them independantly. our electrician now has all the information he needs so it's all been a great help...thanks for all the replies.

mel.

Got just what we needed.......thanks for the information. And yes J.R. the electrician is english(tut tut, why so precious?) and happens to be a very well qualified one in both british and european electrics (my brother -in-law) The information was for me in trying to understand how the system worked.

The best reply to being qualified was I think Gavin Llyall " So I showed him the bit of paper which said I was OK  to scrape the points on a Pratt & Whitney "   

Others included pulling the cross member off my Datsun 1800 SSS to put it back on a rally car and then saying I need it back  by noon on Tuesday