Planning permission for Conservatory

Matelot

Hi

I am considering putting a conservatory on the rear of my French cottage. To make optimum use of space I would ideally like a conservatory that is 4m x 6m making a total of 24M2. The only thing that is daunting is because the size is 4M2 over the 20M2 limit, I am going to have to apply for planning permission.

My questions to the forum are as follows:

1. is the process of obtaining planning permission such a pain in the derriere that I would be better off building a smaller conservatory and keeping within the 20M2 limit?

2. Or is it fairly straightforward for a simple project like a conservatory?

What are your experiences with obtaining planning permission for such a build?

I don’t necessarily want to employ an architect, just for an extra 4M2! As I say to my wife - size isn't everything!

Any help and advice please!

Merci!

You'd better ask at your mairie first if you have not yet done so.

Some mairies impose their own restrictions and may require a permis de construire even if the proposed conservatory is below the 20m² limit.

we had a conservatory built in feb ours is 15 square metrs so needed planning permssion which was very straight forward the company that we chose sent a rep we told him what we wanted all agreed he then asked us for any plans of the back of the house so he could show where the consv will be built we paid him a deposit and away he went he asked us to post date the cheque as they couldnt cash it until our permission was granted that took 2 months we then recieved a letter from the mairie with a bit at the bottom to fill out hubby did this then took it to the mairies office then three months later we got another letter with our permission we rang the company and secured a date to start the work which took two days. All very straight forward we dont know of anyone else who has had a conserv so I cant say if we were just lucky or not I'm sure.  Our conserv is fab

[quote user="fussy"] he asked us to post date the cheque as they couldnt cash it until our permission was granted [/quote]

Everyone is quite right about planning, but a small word of warning about post-dated cheques;

The French "system" says that the cheque must be valid when you write it out. Ie., the payee can take the cheque to the bank there & then and it will pass. Even if a cheque is dated 3 months hence, a bank will accept it today (there have been threads where people have been caught by this).

I won't take them (or ask for them). If the customer hasn't got the money, then writing the cheque is illegal and if the supplier doesn't want the money, he should come back when he does.

Quite right Nick. Still amazes me the number of people who agree to have work done in France but do not have the money already in their french bank account which as any artisan will tell you is not the way to go as interest will be added for late payment.

my reason for mentioning the post dated cheque was irrelevant really i was only going through the procedure of pointing out how easy it was for us we were expecting to have to pay a deposit the rep just happened to mention that they would'nt cash it until permission was granted it did'nt matter to us either way