Sound proofing

f1steveuk

I'm in the process of putting some more living space down stairs in our house. The house is approx' 15 years old, and has concrete floors, which are screeded, then tiled. I have the metal and platerboard ceiling system to go up, but before I do, I need to sound proof between because when downstairs, I can even hear the dog walking about!  Whats the best way, the cheapest way, the usual way etc etc??

Our house is built on the side of a hill, so downstairs is as big as upstairs. It will be spilt in two. One side, two extra "summer" bedrooms (it's cooler), and a extra kitchen for the better half to do her jams and candle making etc etc. The other part will be an apartment for visitors (always nice to have some independance!). and that will be two bedrooms, alounge diner and kitchen, all sort of open plan, with a seperate

bathroom/wc. So there will be the odd wall (mainly the ones that are there holding the house up!), with two extra stud walls. All these walls I guess will transmit sounds from upstairs as well. So in summary seven rooms, but two of them big and open plan.