Selling French Property

I am selling my property in France and moving back to the UK.  If someone could answer the following I would be very grateful.

Am I correct in thinking that although the immobilier fees are included in the purchase price, it is up to the seller (me, in this case) to actually pay these fees to the immobilier?  If so, how exactly is this done and when?

The agents will advise you how much they think you can get for your house, and this is the amount you will receive (if you get a full price offer). The agency fees are then added onto this figure (as are the notaires fees) and this is the amount the buyer pays.

And the buyer pays the whole sum, i.e. your 'net vendeur' price plus all fees and taxes, to the notaire by the date of signing the final Acte de Vente. The notaire then pays you, the agent and the government (and himself of course). If you need the money quickly tell the notaire in advance. There is no reason why you cannot walk away from the signing with a cheque - unless there are capital gains tax or similar complications, and even then it should usually be possible to calculate your payment in advance. But many notaires tend to take their time, particularly with paying out money. There are regional variations, for instance in some southern parts it seems to be the custom that the seller is considered responsible for paying the agent. But that's how it works in most of France.

OK. Thank you. Think I understand. I was worried that I would need to have funds in my account to cover the cost of the Immobiliers fees before the cheque from the sale cleared. Next worry is wondering if Le Gers/Les Landes is one of those southern parts with different customs!

I accompanied my in-laws to the notaires office a couple of weeks ago to complete on buying their house. They (as buyers) had already paid the notaire the full advertised price (which included the agents fees) and the notaire wrote out a cheque for the agent there and then and kept hold of the balance to pass onto the vendor.  

Suzi

www.patiras.com/trinite.htm

Presume it is the same for all buyers as it was in our case.

The legal documentation clearly outlined the amount for the house, the immobiliers fees, and the amount for the notaire and taxes and, for the signing of the Acte, the difference between the total and the deposit had to be paid into the notaires account.

No real difference to the UK - the buyer pays over a sum of money to their solicitor, this is then passed to the sellers solicitor, who pays the agency fee and hands the remainder to the seller.

At the end of the day, whichever country you are in, the buyer actually pays for the legal fees and taxes, the agency fees and the sellers money - just that it is dressed up differently.

Paul