Advice/Comments on this product please

John

Hi all

I think I have found the answer to my problems on www.refina.co.uk (click on spray equipment then click render spray gun). The compressor that is needed is no problem.
I would just like to know if anyone has used this type of gun before and what the finished results were or whether its a no go.
The agent has told me its a French made item and used in France as well.
I am hoping to do the inside and outside of my barn and then the outside of the house. I am not looking for a perfectly smooth finish, I had an external wall done last year by a local French guy and the result was very good, a sort of rough finish that he trowelled over to leave a smoother but still rough look. He did however have the proper kit, but finances dictate that I need to do abit more myself. So this is a cheaper option for me.

Any comments good or bad will be welcomed.

Regards

John

Noticed that you have asked the same question in "another place". Not sure that I agree with the reply, however.

These small machines are a) very heavy to use - try holding 4 bags of sugar at arms length all day, b) slow - because 5Kg of wet render will cover about 1 MSq and then you will have to climb down the ladder... c) They use vast quantities of air, because most of what comes out of the nozzle is air. As GS says, 660L/min is big site compressor territory - the biggest limiting factor of a large compressor is the hose - the bigger the flow, the bigger the hose, the weight of which you must carry up the ladder.

TBH, I'd either hire the professional gear, or better still, pay someone to do it for you - they would do an average house in less than a day. Mixing a house-worths of render is a major job in itself.

Or do it with a hawk and float - much more satisfying.

In the late 70s, I was a director of a company which had a subsidiary in Miami which built pressure pumped concrete modular houses for the third World.

The interiors were finished by spraying cement slurry. Now cement slurry is far sloppier than render: and far easier to spray!

The mix was pressure pumped to the gun like shotcrete in tunnels.

I agree with Nick on this: as a one off it really falls into the "Nice Idea" category.

Far better to pay a pro to do it for you: or as Nick sensibly suggests, do it the traditional way.

You could always consider using crepi exterieure,  applied with a roller....................

As others have already said and as per the PDF document you need a mobile site compressor to run this gun.*

There is however a cheaper and less powerfull alternative that I have been using this week, it is called a Crepinette and is available for about E40 from the tool lorries.

The hopper is about the same size and my 3hp compresor keeps up with it but it is an old good make, not sure if some of the Brico ones would.

The largest nozzle is 8mm which I have been using to good effect spraying chaux based enduit de renovation, albeit diluted thinner than normal. I mixed, sprayed and finished 13m2 to a thickness of about 10mm with it yesterday afternoon but am really feeling it today, it really is very hard work and the bigger gun whilst probably not weighing much more would put it on quicker resuting in more mixing and carrying.

However where it really comes into its own is spraying crepi mixed about 10% with water, it is really fast and the finish is fantastic, far better even than enduit grattée or taloché and it sticks like sh1t to a blanket[:D]