Workshop conversion to gite

Rez

Hi all,

This is my first post! We have just purchased a place in Les Landes which has several outbuildings, some of which are of a considerable size. We want to convert the largest into a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom gite so we have somewhere to stay whilst doing renovations to the main house. I understand about visiting the Marie and getting a permis de construire but I just wanted to get your opinions on what might be possible.

There are 2 options:

(1)Renovate the workshop, renewing timbers where needed

(2)Demolition of exisiting workshop and re-build.

The second option would be the ideal option. Do you think it might be possible to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Salut

Rez

[quote user="Gastines"]I believe a visit to the Mairie to ask whoever geals with development is still your first stop, as you have to get permission to demolish anything.[/quote]

hi

ok suppose it must depend on your Mayor  . just been to see him about knocking our large barn down and he said you do not need permission . He did say you can go to the hotel de imports to tell them so you can get the tax reduced on the property or just leave it as it is in case you want to rebuild it ???

dave

Yes,giving advice,even if it includes my usual  spelling mistakes, can be a bit of a problem in France. Every Canton & Dept., seems to interperet every rule differently. The area we live in is like a conservation area and rules seem to vary depending on which side of the road you live. The same applied when we were told we had to register our B&B at the C.d C. In nearly every other area apparently don't have to. I suppose it makes life more interesting.

Regards.

I agree with Gastines on this one, check with the authorities first..

If you live near a listed church or in a conservation area you need to be very careful.

Be warned, if you want to build a new place, don't knock down the workshop until you are sure that you will get permission for the new property.

Bon courage

P.S. I think the second option might be cheaper / easier