Electrics - please could someone tell me if this is correct

londoneye

OK - I have just scrolled down this section (to page 50 or so) to try to find some definitive answers to questions I have.  I have also searched (sometimes successfully, sometimes not!).    I know everyone who generally answers questions on electrics is probably a bit bored with it, and I am sorry if I have missed the answers, but would appreciate any help on the following.

Electric cables - exposed or in gaine.    We are working on the basis that any cable that is not exposed must be in gaine - thus we are putting all cable (or intending to) which is behind plasterboard (effectively in a void) into gaine.   Is this correct please ?

Number of lighting points which can go to one circuit breaker (I hope this is correct terminology - one of the little boxes on the consumer unit).   I have read two things which seem to conflict;   1. Lights 1.5 mm cable, maximum power 2300 watts, 16 amp disjointer of 10 amp fuse, and 2.  8 lights per circuit .      We are intending to have 10 spotlights (mains), 50w each upstairs, and had intended to use one circuit breaker for these lights, but in view of the 8 scenario, would we need two please ?

Telephone and TV points.   Our accommodation is intended for holiday lets and we do not intend to supply a phone point, and would ideally only put in one television point in the open plan area downstairs.    Is it absolutely essential in order to pass a Consuel inspection to have a phone line, and more than one TV point.   I have heard that a French electrician would put one in each room for example; however I am only concerned with what we need to do in order to pass Consuel.

If you run cable, in gaine, down a wall, can you plaster over the gaine ?

When Consuel comes to check your electrics, does he (or unlikely but possible, she !) need to see all the wiring? Ie shall we leave only one side of each room division plaster-boarded, so that they can see, and plaster-board the other side after the inspection?

I would be grateful for any replies.

Hi ,  My answers in blue

Electric cables - exposed or in gaine.    We are working on the basis that any cable that is not exposed must be in gaine - thus we are putting all cable (or intending to) which is behind plasterboard (effectively in a void) into gaine.   Is this correct please ?

Yes basically you are right - All cables in gaine where they are hidden and ALSO where they pass through floors and walls . All singles wires must always be in conduit or gaine also. 

Number of lighting points which can go to one circuit breaker They are called "disjoncteurs divisionaires" (I hope this is correct terminology - one of the little boxes on the consumer unit).  I have read two things which seem to conflict;   1. Lights 1.5 mm cable, maximum power 2300 watts, 16 amp disjointer or 10 amp fuse, and 2.  8 lights per circuit .      Both are somewhat correct - Number 2 is the correct line to take as although 8 lights are allowed, it is assumed that not all will be on at the same time . It is good practise to not go over the 2300 watts if there is a possibility that the total load will be constantly at this level. You are correct in your fuse and disjoncteur sizing.

We are intending to have 10 spotlights (mains), 50w each upstairs, and had intended to use one circuit breaker for these lights, but in view of the 8 scenario, would we need two please ? Definetely two circuits are required here.

Telephone and TV points.   Our accommodation is intended for holiday lets and we do not intend to supply a phone point, and would ideally only put in one television point in the open plan area downstairs.    Is it absolutely essential in order to pass a Consuel inspection to have a phone line, and more than one TV point.  Yes, although I have found over the years that Consuel inspections vary and the inspector has discrentiaonary (sp?) powers in some matters not concerning safety. However the whole point of the Consuel is to bring all housing stock up to the same level of minimum confort so TV and telephone points in all main rooms is the norm.

If you run cable, in gaine, down a wall, can you plaster over the gaine ? Yes as long as it is the corrugated gaine ICTA and not conduit IRL, and it is run vertically and not horozontally . There are a few exceptions where short horozontal wall chases are allowed .

When Consuel comes to check your electrics, does he (or unlikely but possible, she !) need to see all the wiring? Not necessarily, but he is in his rights to inspect any accessible part of the installation.  Ie shall we leave only one side of each room division plaster-boarded, so that they can see, and plaster-board the other side after the inspection? No, the walls should be finished .

Basically the Consuel inpector will know within a few minutes whether the job is amateur or professional and based on my own personal experience in my last fifteen or so Consuel inspections, he will base the rest of what he inspects on this basis ( as well as how long before his lunch and how many other visits he has that morning /afternoon!

Thank you Punch, I really appreciate your reply, especially as I can actually understand it, which is a huge bonus for me where electrics are concerned (don't panic, I am only the writer, not the 'doer').

I have one small supplementary question.   OH has put the sockets in position today (unknown to me), and has put them at 30 cm from floor level (no idea why).  During the course of today I found some other information on France Renovations or some similar site, which says that the sockets should be 5cm from the floor.   Is this correct, and how important is it - I know 25 cm is quite a big difference.

Thanks again, and I shall try not to put too many questions in future.    I will try to put a link for the other information I found tomorrow, I hope its correct (actually I hope its not in respect of the sockets), as it may be useful to someone else.

There are two seperate issues here.

The rules for conduits buried in walls are quite complicated but If conduits are plastered into a wall - ie ; chased in, then maximum horozontal  run is 50cm.

Daisy chaining or repiquage as it is called in France is allowed for socket outlets and is indeed the usual way of wiring this type of circuit.

Many thanks.

So, if that's the case, does this mean that each connection has to go vertically from the socket to the floor space or loft and along and then down again! (assuming the gaine is all chased in)?

Since the load then becomes cumulative, is it permissable to with repiquage to connect separate sockets on the same circuit via junction boxes?

Here I'm thinking of sockets perhaps used for higher than normal loads: 2.5 Kw fanheaters for example.