Residual Current Device - advice required!

Handy

I have a bought a Bestway 'Lay-Z-Spa', an amazing bit of kit for the money (see Lay-Z-Spa website for more info), bought this in the UK but these are available in France. The instructions state it must be plugged into a RCD to ensure electrical safety. The RCD used must have a residual operating current not exceeding 30mA. I am aware that I can buy these in the UK, can you buy plug-in RCD's here in France?

It also states that it must be plugged into a properly grounded socket, should be simple but I am aware that some but not all of the sockets in the property have no earth wire connected. In the UK I could use a small 'plug-in' earth tester that verified the earth was operational and satisfactory - any advice re this?

The house will be rewired in 2008 by a qualified French electrician, I don't know who did the existing wiring - it all works OK but I need to be extra safe with this kit.

John

A new French electrical instalation will have at least two Interrupters Differentiel before the disjointers for individual circuits. These are normally 30mA. They also sell 10Ma Interrupters Differentiel balneo and piscines ( ? and swimming polls) . I cannot recall having seen plug in RCDs in France. You can buy small TableauD Electricite specifically for workshops and pool  houses.

The plug in earth testers ( 3 pin with diodes on the back) test for the preseence but not the quality of an earth. I have not seen them in France.

As Anton suggests, by far the safest way to do  this is to install a small "tableau" with a 30mA/25A interrupteur differential and a 20A disjoncteur diffential (you can get these from the bricos). I would also add a decent earth spike next to the tableau.

Have you tried the spa? Those I know with one of these seem fairly disappopinted with the performance. I have yet to see a spa with less than 3 or 4HP of pumps that actually "does" anything.

Hi Anton and Nick

Thanks for this info, I will proceed as suggested - anything to do with water and electricity always needs that additional safety, I do not want any accidents. I bought the spa in the UK, they can be bought for £300 or slightly less. I bought mine at a cash and carry and it was £250 plus VAT. As you will appreciate that's peanuts for a spa but it is an amazing bit of kit for the money. I have seen one operational at the cash and carry and its impressive (remembering the cost). There is a video on the Bestway (Lay-Z-Spa) website and lots of comments from customers.

Once its working I will report back......!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Handy"]

I In the UK I could use a small 'plug-in' earth tester that verified the earth was operational and satisfactory - any advice re this?

John

[/quote]

I use a UK 3 pin plug in tester with a UK/France adaptor for checking sockets, it works well and will show the absence of an earth, but this is not the same as the efficacity of the earth. Bear in mind that it may show on many sockets the live and earth being transposed due to the non polarisation of the French system.