Wall height restriction?

Bannon

We intend to build a wall around our exposed courtyard to give us a bit of privacy and wondered what restrictions (if any) there were on height. 

I seem to remember that in the UK you can build one up to about 1m without having to get planning permission - and that's the sort of height we'd be looking at before topping it off with a railing.   

Thanks as always guys.

The Maire should know I guess but often in the past my enquiries have been met with blank stares as they had no idea. Even official letters of enquiry to them have failed to get a response.... but that's not the case with all of them I'm sure. Forum members have always been a much quicker in responding - so thanks cooperlola!

I showed our maire my outline proposals for a new swimming pool to gauge his reactions and to see if they'd likely be accepted. He was OK with everything on my sketches but suggested that I show a boundary wall height of 1.95 m rather than 2m. He told me it would cause less problems when he sent off the plans to the next level up in the process and then probably be simply passed through as OK.