Wood burner clearance

Lindnarden

I am about to embark on installing a wood burner downstairs with the pipe running up the wall and then through the ceiling and the floor of the bedroom above straight into the old fireplace that was in that room and then up into the existing chimney and out into the world

A couple of questions -

The pipe coming out of the burner is 185mm and will therefore be that wide going theough the flooboards of the room above - how much clearance will it need from the wood surfaces and the plasterboard of the ceiling (if it's relevant the top of the burner to the floorboards above is about 2m 80cm)

I don't think I can get 185mm pipe up into the old chimney - once it's through the floor and out of sight in the room above can I reduce the pipe diameter down with a reducing type piece of kit

Is there such a thing as 'flexible' pipe in case I need to work round any slightly bendy bits

Thanks very much in advance for your indulgence.....[:D][:)]

Linarden .Under no circumstances must you reduce the size of a flue, go larger but not smaller.50 mm is the minimum needed for all round clearance from any combustable material,buy the correct ceiling fire plates when going through ceilings etc.If the boiler is a floor standing model I would run the first metre in vitro enamel or twin wall before connecting on to the flexy flue liner, disapates the heat better before it hits the flexy, make sure you buy the correct liner for a wood burner,oil and gas is a different standard,put the correct cowl on the chimney.Sounds a bit dodgy going into the fireplace upstairs, if it is a must to go in that direction i would fit a register plate in that fireplace and run the liner into it.[so the chimney can be cleaned]But the correct way is to run the liner right through the stack.Michael.

OP, you need to get some professional advice ASAP, and do not rely on info you get from Forums like this re installing chinmeys etc.  OK for guidance but the reality is always a bit different and with flues there are many regs you must comply with and minimising the risk of fire is very important.

Oh, and my advice is:  DO NOT under any circumstances reduce the diameter of the flue half way up the run ( [+o(] ); keep bends to an absolute minimum  (max x2 45 deg is a good starting point) ; 16 cm is the norm (I think) for clearance between the flue and wood joists etc;  any plasterboard in the vacinity of the flue must be of a fire redardant type. 

Do a search on this Forum for a guide that is available for download.  This is a must read (Guide Practique - Contstruction d'une cheminee)  - maybe someone can point the OP to the link ?

Thanks for that - the guide looks very interesting but there appear to only be 10 pages with some of the crucial info on other missing pages.... or am I missing something - Thanks for the pointer about ceiling plates and register (?) plates.....I shall investigate further...[8-)]

My intention was to run the liner all the way to the top of the existing brick chimney and to put twin wall from the burner to the ceiling (about 2m 80cm) - any bendy bits were only going to be max five degrees and I was only planning to reduce the width from 180mm to about 150mm if I had to....is this still a no no ??

In an ideal world I would get a local artisan to come and do it but the earliest anyone can do it is November.....