Grey water drainage

dexter

I`ve just had a survey done on a property I`m considering buying in Dept 19, the surveyor has informed me that the grey water,(sink, bath etc) from the house drains into the road drainage system.

He thinks that this may now be illegal, can anyone advise me?  By the state of the plumbing in the property it would appear that the conection to the drains was done many years ago.

If I have to rip it out and start again what alternatives are there? (mains drainage is apparently en-route to the nearby village but it could be years off)

Any help would be appreciated.

In order to conform, you  would need to have installed a fosse septique which complies with the latest regulations; this is called a toute eaux, IT is named thus since all the grey water must be discharged into the fosse along with the septic waste from WCs.

Whilst the concept of having ALL properties on main drainage "in the near future" is a nice idea - and typically French! - the reality is that the majority of communes simply cannot and will never be able to afford this!

Ergo, either dedicated fosse septiques, on a One-per- Dwelling basis will contine until the year dot. The only possible option is for clusters of dwellings to install a large common biomass treatment facility and share its cost.

As part of your projected acquisition cost, factor in a new fosse septique. Seek quotes and insist on a Clause Suspensive (Conditional Clause) in the Compromis de Vente making the purchase conditional on a favourable survey on the fosse installation.

The soil and sub-soil must be acceptable to the national body (forget its name; I'm tired!).

Pitch your offer in light of this information.