EDF

Llwyncelyn

I just know that there are some knowledgeable people on this forum and I have taken bets with myself as to who is going to be the first to respond.

Briefly had a survey on a house we are buying in the Vendee and now in the cooling off period.  The survey says only 9kw coming into the house and we know from Normandie that this not enough.  Thus EDF need to come in and increase the power.  What are the limits please and with our new house being in a small village and with no overhead lines but the feed from the road just in front of the house.

We also have some suspect boards and points that sort of thing and would it be wise to rip it all out and start again?

Electricty just scares me so much that I tend to overreact but better safe than sorry

kind regards

Hi,

Firstly I would say that whether 9KW is enough or not depends on how (and what ) you intend to use electrically? Remember that you pay a higher standing charge for a higher KW rating so it is within your interests to keep this as low as you can. There lots of devices for the clever control of your mains input such as delesteurs and such like, that can switch off high demand non - priority items, whilst you boil a kettle or use the washing machine, and if you heat your water at night and perhaps put your dishwasher and washing machine on at night too, 9KW may be enough.

The amount of power the EDF would be willing to supply you varies depending on the local constraints of the incoming supply lines, and also whether you are on a single phase or three phase supply. If your supply is three phase then they are often more than happy to upgrade you to 15KW ( 3 x 5KW) or more, (but most EDF conseillers would try to dissuade you from having this much), as it is not necessary unless the house is very large and is totally electric, including heaters.

If your supply is single phase, ( and it sounds like from your description that it is), the EDF in my experience often limit the maximum supply to 12KW as so to not imbalance their incoming supply lines. It also depends on how far your house is from the nearest EDF step down transformer. Typical incoming EDF supply transformers step down from 20,000 volts to 400 V so people who's houses are at the end of very long low voltage (400V) lines often find they cannot have more than 9KW, or evn 6Kw in some instances.

This is only my personal experience of the EDF after 17 years, but the only real answer to your question is to make an appointment for either an on -site rendezvous, or if your French is good enough, be sorted out on the phone.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask if you need further info?

Paul

http://www.punchardrenovation.com

Thanks the central heating is oil but it is a large house and yes of course we will limit the rads in the bedrooms but in Normandie we have 12kw so I think we will go down the route of getting EDF in.  I am sure the present owners will organise it for us.

Thanks again for your help