Rayburn installation advice needed

Jacqui      Too

We intend to install a wood burning Rayburn in our house in France to do cooking, domestic hot water and possibly some heating.

But I understand the the French plumbing systems are sealed/pressurised but Rayburns are not to be connected to sealed or unvented systems, so if we use the British way of plumbing it in eg: header tank and gravity fed will we be able to get all the materials needed for installation from local merchants?

Has anyone ever installed a Rayburn in France? and if so have you any advice. (except don't do it) [Www]

Although my OH is a builder we fully intend not to fall into the trap of renovating our French home to British standards or with British materials, but I understand that Rayburns and Agas are in use all over France and the world.

Jackie

We had one in a previous house in France, no problems. There are also French equivalents, though a Rayburn is better made and more robust. I know next to nothing about plumbing, but I'm told that as long as you have a four-way valve in the pipework it will suit a French heating system. As I understand it, the British type of system does not meet the French equivalent of building/water regulations though these may have been relaxed since. As long as you can find a competent installer, you can have a Rayburn. Agas are meant for cooking only, but some can have hot water boilers added; they will not power heating systems.

If you have not already got the Rayburn then I would consider looking for a Solid Fuel Stanley Superstar cooker / boiler. I bought a Rayburn and having owned a gas fired Stanley in the UK sold it on and bought a Stanley as they are far better built than a Rayburn.

I get back from France in the next few days from work and I intend commencing installation of it next week so I will let you know how I got on. I bought an idirect HP hot water cylinder in France which I had to order but brought the safety header tank from the UK. The rest of the matertials are most likely available in France but I am going to source the safety relief valve while in the UK this weekend.

I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Thank you both

We all ready have the Rayburn a 2005 355M model, and My OH would have no problem plumbing it in here as he has installed a couple before, but as I said we would like all our house to conform to French standards and are keen to hear how other people have over come this problem. Also I think I will contact the manufacturers and see if they can offer advice.

Stanley are owned by Aga as are Rayburn and once you like a brand it is very hard to compromise to another, I'd of preferred an Aga but they don't do wood burning and that is my preferred fuel for France

Jackie

I've installed some Rayburns. Don't but secondhand solid fuel Rayburns as the boiler is probably on it's last legs ad costs a lot to replace. Needs wood cut up into short lengths, will stay in overnight (just) but don't expect the rads to be warm in the morning. Running rads it probably needs 150 to 200kgs of wood per 24hours so it's hard work to keep up with it.

I think the best option is a Rayburn for cooking only (or even better, a gas or electric (latest version) AGA) and a gas or oil boiler for central heating and hot water.

I quite agree with what Charles says, if we still had the Rayburn I would have converted it to oil. Apparently there are newer ones made specifically for wood that work better than the older multi-fuel ones, though the latter have the advantage of being able to burn just about anything. Ours powered a French radiator system, no indirect tank, with an electric water heater. It was brilliant for cooking and would run the radiators OK with good quality wood, but heating was a pain if the wood was not very good.

Converting to oil/gas is not an option. (hope I don't have to eat my words in a few years time) We deliberately chose the Rayburn Heatranger 355M because we prefer to burn wood, its ready available, cheaper than other fuels, more Eco friendly and we have an abundance of it already. This Rayburn will have to do 3 jobs, firstly heat the kitchen and cook secondly domestic hot water(we will also have an immersion heater) and only if it does those jobs well would we consider removing the summer bricks and adding rads

The one we have is only 2 1/2 years old and has hardly been used so no problems about worn out boilers, hubby will need something to do on cold winter days, what better way to keep fit that to chop and carry 150kg logs a day [Www] oh and that's not counting the log burner we shall have in the lounge [:-))]

Going to phone Rayburn tec department tomorrow to get advice.

Jackie

That's what we thought when opting for a wood-burning Rayburn... (though without the ample supply of wood - which of course will only be really suitable if it was cut several years ago).

Suggest you contact Barry at www.tradcookers.com who is a mine of information on Agas and Rayburns, particularly in France, and will give impartial advice, rather than concentrate on selling you a new range, which, from experience, is what you are likely to get from Aga and its official agents.

[quote user="Will"]Suggest you contact Barry at www.tradcookers.com who is a mine of information on Agas and Rayburns, particularly in France, and will give impartial advice, rather than concentrate on selling you a new range, which, from experience, is what you are likely to get from Aga and its official agents.[/quote]

Thanks for that link Will, I have sent him an email this morning.

I also phoned Rayburn tec department they put me on to their export department who just confirmed that the only way it should be installed is as per installation manual eg: vented system with header tank!

So looks like that's what we will have to do then!

Thanks everyone for your help

Jackie 

[quote user="Chipie"]

I also phoned Rayburn tec department they put me on to their export department who just confirmed that the only way it should be installed is as per installation manual eg: vented system with header tank!

[/quote]

All solid fuel heating systems use open vents with a header tank. Everything you need is available in France except ready made 'injection tees' but these are easily made fromother parts.

Not very familiar with the 'Heatranger' but did have to replace a boiler in a 'Nouvelle' that was only 14 months old, hence my comment regarding buying secondhand.

Hi I have a newish rayburn here,somewhere I have the schematic that we were given to follow for plumbing ( looks like willy wonkers chocolate factory!!) We have no header tank but an expansion tank various oneway valves( sorry I'm not very techy in this department ) I will look it out and try to e-mail to you if you like, we run domestic hot water and central heating of 6 x 2 kw radiators,stays in over night, cooks meals that even my sceptic husband can tell the difference, the cats love the bottom oven together with teenage trainers (yuk) and has given warmth and comfort when during building, cemet mixing and leaky roofs were doing their best to see me off! My husband has that look of dispare when I get my "full steam ahead" stoke up the fire moments as he watches helplessly as it eats the wood pile but I know deep down that the cosy rosy smile I have after more than makes up for the back breaking logging session to follow!!!! We have used a company in Auch which we have found to be very helpful. Let me know if ou still need the schematic

hi

we only have our woodburners for heating but I keep looking for a secondhand esse ironheart (think thats the neme).  Its a woodburning cooker which also is a heater, the best part is you can see the fire.  I personally would not install a central heating sysem based on a woodburner.  For heating upstars (we currently don't bother, the heat goes up the ope stairs from the kitchen), I would choose electric heaters.  Two sources of heat is a good idea.