RSJ Size?

Allmech

I want to put my millling machine into the top  of a split level barn, but this involves changing some of the exsisting oak beams for some steel. I have looked at and priced 200x90 IPN section steel which is ok , but I am unsure of  if it take the weight safely. The span between the walls is 3m and the mill is estimated at 1250kg placed in the centre on two IPN steels. I spoke to the steel supplier and tried internet search etc to no avail, it is not an easy thing to work out. I can but dont want to put some posts in the middle to surport from the floor. The mill along with lathe and pillar drill has spent the last 3 years in the bottom of the barn but it is so damp the rust is really big problem. The lathe a Colchester Mascot 1600 2000kg is also going up but one end will be over  a supporting wall so the mill is the heaviest  in the unsurported span.

I seem to think it shouldnt be a problem as the car and motorbikes etc already stored in the barn on oak poutres with larger span

Maybe someone might know what is possible?

IPN200 Section modulus is 214 cm3.

Assumed simply supported beams each taking 1250kg = 625 kg per beam = 6130 N per beam at midpoint. Max bending moment = 6130 * 300 / 4 N.cm = 459750 N.cm

Bending stress at midpoint = 459750 / 214 N / cm2 = 2148 N / cm2 = 21.48 N / mm2 = less than 10% of yield, you are OK by my reckoning. If it was a bit heavier there might be deflection issues but at this sort of stress level you should be OK.