Caustic Soda

Has anyone ever bought caustic soda in powder form in France? I need to make up a solution of a known and particular concentration, but the ready-made up bottles that are available in the supermarkets don't seem to say just how much in in them, and most of them are in gel form which just isn't right for what I need. I've tried our local brico's to no avail - none of the pimply youths employed to allegedly aid the buying public seem to know that caustic soda can be a powder let alone where I could buy the same.

Any help would be appreciated,

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

bought some in the local Bricomarche. If you want soda crystals...

St Marc - Cristaux de Soude

Danny

[/quote]

Ah - those are washing soda crystals. Very, very useful as a cheap alternative to exactly the same chemical marketed as "pH plus" by exploitative pool treatments suppliers, but not the same as caustic soda. I have been pointed in the direction of the local pharmacy, which sounds a slightly unlikely venue to me, but I'll give it a whirl!

I thought we had some caustic soda crystals as I knew I'd used it to clean lambris before painting. But when I found it , it's in fluid form and as you say no information about how much it's diluted. If the pharmacy doesn't have it, ask someone to bring some over from UK. ps just by chance found some in the bathroom, in crystal form. It has a picture of a paintbrush on the front so look in the decorating sectionof the brico.