Car park

newbiee

I want to create a large gravelled car park and have read various methods and opinions on how to do it , re sand and gravel layers, etc.  Some say not to bother with sand at all.

Have you built a carpark yourself?  If so, can you tell me how you layered it up after you'd dug it out and laid your hardcore please. 

I have sand, earth, gravel and heavy duty weed surpressant at hand.

Thanks folks 

We just dug up the grass and put down heavy duty breathable sheeting and then gravel, the odd weed pops

up now and then but so far so good,  we did not bother we any hardcore two cars fit on with ease.  We also spray

weed killer on the driveway and new car park area twice a year.

What sort of weedkiller do you use?

We've done the same thing but have some problems with weeds here and there.  We have cats and a dog and I need something I can use once or twice a year but that wouldn't harm the pets. I can keep them inside for perhaps an hour or so while I spray.

I would appreciate any ideas on this

Aly......by the way, we didn't use any hardcore or sand either and everything seems fine (apart from the weeds)

You could try, Excavate to 300mm install edgings if you are having them (Treated wood attached to pegs driven in outside works ok or pin kerbs lais in lean mix concrete)  then two 100 mm layers of MOT Type 1, scalpings or equivalent well rolled or compacted with a wacker plate (Gentle spraying with water will keep the dust down in dry weather)  Blind with 25 to 30mm builders sand followed by geotextile membrane then your gravel to top up.