Water damage in plasterboard

bosie

Can anyone help? We have just stripped the wallpaper off our bedroom and discovered an old damp problem in one piece of plasterboard. There must have been a problem at one time as the plasterboard has a few lumps and bumps but it is completely dry now. Can anyone tell me how we can remove the lumps so that we can have a smooth finish ready to re-paper? I know that the probable solution would be to replace the complete piece of plasterboard but is there another option? Can it be sanded down/ removed with a stanley knife and a coat of smooth plaster applied? Am making this up as I go along so please be kind with your advice,

Thanks

Gill

If you sand it, you will probably remove the paper board finish. Depending on how big the patch is you could cut a piece out [so that joins are on the lathes/battens/studs].Put a new piece in, screw fix or galvanised nail  securely,tape joints with sel stick bandage jointing tape and skim over with jointing cement.

Regards

If for a smallish areas and you dont want to replace entire panels  or work to the grounds below. You can cut out sections and don't bother about joists or studs behind (Make sure no cables though using a studfinder) through the hole you have formed insert a couple of pieces of ply and align them so that you can screw through remaining board (With drywall screws) to catch the ply leaving a good overlap into the hole (I usually put some gripfill on the board also. repeat till you have created an edge all round then using the bit of board you cut out previously as a template cut a new section to sit in. run a bead of gripfill or no more nails etc around the lip then push new board into position and affix with drywall scews remove and excess glue with a scraper straight away and try not to smear it. Once the plot has gone off (say overnight) you can simply pva and plaster or face fill with easyfill or jointing compound using a plastic caulking blade  once nearly gone off wipe with a damp decorators sponge allow to dry then lightly sand if needs be. You are ready for decs. Hope this is the kind of thing you wanted...

Regards.

Crikey HF that really is fascinating and so easy!![:D] I 'almost' wish we had some plasterboard walls. That reminds me I must repair the hole that I drilled right through our loo wall, OH just happened to be sitting at the time and it scared her to death! Well the wall is only 2 inch French airtex brick [:$]