Roof A frames and canal tiles..

dandaz

Even if you want authentic Roman Canal Tiles you need to lay battons running down the roof keeping them in line.

Alternatively you can use modern interlocking tiles and run the battons across the roof with the lugs on the underside of tiles on the battons.

The French do not tight board the roof they leave air gaps for the wood to dry out when it becomes wet. 

If you board your roof you do ,certainly NOT have to use battens down the roof to keep them in line .

You can use them across the roof if you uses new  bottom tiles with nibs on them , But they can still and our still fixed without battens     

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Alternatively you can use modern interlocking tiles and run the battons across the roof with the lugs on the underside of tiles on the battons.

[/quote]

My roof would look so out of place if I did ,I saved all the old tiles so it would blend in...

The old tiles were directly on the wood ,there are bound to be gaps in the wood ...

Thanks for your replys...

Boarding, counterbattens and tile battens sounds like doing the job twice but It depends on the type of insulation, how it's fitted (internal or external) and what aspect you want inside. If you only have A Frames and purlins at the moment, then you will need to fit rafters, so if you fit these at 400 centres you should be able to dispence with the boarding and just fit tile battens and nibbed undertiles. Alternatively, you could use something like this: http://www.solution-soutuile.com/produits.php

• 1 month later...
Hi

Thanks ,I have done it now ,I did the battens and the boards....My span was over 10 meters x 10 meters so the frames were heavy....

I must say the service from Point.P was great.....

I bought 1500 new canal tiles and placed them underneath.....

It took three weeks ,I got quoted 3 times the amount that it cost me to diy,so I am pleased...

and I got a suntan...

Thanks for all your help...