Property Valuation.

[quote user="Britannicus"]

If you rely on Bertrand Russell I doubt that anything has any veracity. He it was that visited Russia under Stalin and declared "I have seen the future and it works"

[quote user="NormanH"]One of my barrels is not far from Quillan's, but at the moment I am in the warm one, and this afternoon it was 30 by the forecast and 35ish in full sun.
[/quote]

[/quote]Before criticising Norman you should check your own accuracy. A quick Google search indicates that the quote in question was not made by Bertrand Russell but by Lincoln Steffens.

Always worth checking these things when posting on Forums frequented by old pedants such as myself[:)]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rabbie, even people in France who want to sell, really want to sell, bow to market forces ..............eventually. Our old neighbour put their house up for a huge amount in 2007 or was it 2006, it is still for sale at the same amount and becoming more and more delapidated, as no one lives there and no one does anything to it.

• 11 months later...
The French property market is not really a speculative market with the exceptions of certain large cities, at least not in the same way as the UK where 90% of the population are home owners. Also the French homes again in general family homes and lived in sometimes for generations.

INSEE the national statistics office keep very accurate figures of all transactions, as do of course the Notaires who report their figures to INSEE, they also have precise figures regarding square metrage and plot size. It is these figures that are used to estimate property values in France.

For a particular village they can tell you exactly on the basis of recent sales the exactly per m2 value of a property on that street.

It is then that the Estate Agent judges simply the condition and state of repair of the house which can vary the price by 5 to 10% at most.

The plot size is also critical in judging the value too.

Their exist also certain property or regional tendencies that need to be taken into account.

The TGV arriving in Dax in 2017 for example would have a tendency to increase house prices in that region.

Web site can give a very accurate idea of base value per m2. Efficity or Seloger or Notaires etc...