Installing glass bricks

Postie

We have three old openings in our north facing wall which need glass bricks. One opening is very small & will only need three bricks - vertically. There will be a gap of 70mm on each vertical side for the "cement". Anyone have any ideas as to how I should go about laying the bricks, leaving enough space to point up to match the surrounding stone. Have read the Leroy Merlin bible just need some advice on cementing the vertical sides.

Thanx Postie

[quote user="postie"]

We have three old openings in our north facing wall which need glass bricks. One opening is very small & will only need three bricks - vertically. There will be a gap of 70mm on each vertical side for the "cement". Anyone have any ideas as to how I should go about laying the bricks, leaving enough space to point up to match the surrounding stone. Have read the Leroy Merlin bible just need some advice on cementing the vertical sides.

Thanx Postie

[/quote]

You will need to bring to sides in, with sand and cement before you start.

Yes, I know it won't point without a cement base but how do I keep the 70mm of cement mix in place? Would some sort of shuttering, clamped onto the bricks work? I have to stop the cement mix from collapsing under it's own weight.

Cheers Postie

[quote user="postie"]

Yes, I know it won't point without a cement base but how do I keep the 70mm of cement mix in place? Would some sort of shuttering, clamped onto the bricks work? I have to stop the cement mix from collapsing under it's own weight.

Cheers Postie

[/quote]

layer after layer till you have the thickness, not a easy or fast thing to do  but that is the building trade.

Create a simple wooden frame wider than needed and mounted (wedged if temporary) forward of the blocks intended location. (This will help align the blocks also) then fit blocks. Dry pack the gap with damp sand and cement mortar and trowel flush on inside edge. leave to set up. Remove frame tidy up any little pinholes. Jobs a good un.