Wood burning Godin stove

Bluebells

I have an old godin wood burning stove in the kitchen, however the rear pipe work only goes up 3 meters of a 7 metre chimney, my local french plumber has said thats ok as its a stove and proposes just putting a register plate in, the other two wood burning fires have a similar arrangement and he has said they must be piped to the top etc, anyone any thoughts on stove idea as cant see that that should not too be piped to top of chimney?  thanks

For safetys sake and approval by the pompiers as well as building practices,you take a double skinned stainless steel flue liner to the very top of the chimney. In old houses there can be wooden beams actually built into the construction of the chimney space and these can catch fire very easily. I would recommend all stoves are flue lined to the very top plus it makes it easier to clean as well as all the deposit will fall down inside the flue to come out of the stove once per year or more.

If you cannot go upwards why not go outwards through the rear wall - bit messy,maybe pricey for an artisan to make good but another solution. Don't forget that with stoves in open chimneys, you really need to close off the space with some steel leaving just the flue pipe to go through or else a lot of heat will be lost. The first bit of pipe from the stove is usually rigid anyway with the flexi attached to that after a metre or so.

Sorry...........I was being flippant, that's what comes of having too much red wine.

There are indeed a lot of country house in France that only have a few feet of flue pipe, but nontheless there can be problems, one thing that many people seem to forget is that smouldering wood gives off large amounts of carbon monoxide. A few small cracks in the masonary above the boiler and you have a receipe for disaster........especially if the room above is a bedroom.

no problem did not take it any other way, seems a man has a solution that will keep sweep happy so there you go, enjoy your day and red er and it took me 15 years to learn parrot mouth and bad head in the morning no good, rose my friend rose its the new red, cheers!