installation of an insert???

shimble

wondering if there are any professionals on here that have experience with installing an insert.... my question is this.... in the installation guide it explains about having a good cold air flow under and around the insert ..... it is possible to purchase a stand for the insert in order to acheive this air flow or the chimney base can be constructed in such a way that there is a space under the insert again to acheive this air flow. i am hoping to install an insert without this base frame and with a solid stone chimney base ..... i had intended to put in some cold air ducts behind the insert through the wall at the bottom level of the insert. i am worried that this will not give enough cold air under the insert if the insert is put in directly to the level of the stone chimney base .....  this dos not leave much space between the stone underneath and the baseof the insert although cold air can be fed from behind the insert..... so should i raise the base of the insert off the stone and by how much in order to gain sufficient air flow from the ducts behind the insert..... has anyone had professional experience of this experience of this ?

According the the European Normes I have (they are subject to change, and will need to be confirmed by yourself) EUROPEAN STANDARD EN 13229.

This paragraph is shown:-

DIMENSIONING THE FRESH AIR INTAKE

Wood consumes oxygen when it burns. A deficit of new fresh air can cause bad combustion (production of unburnt

residues and carbon monoxide), and in consequence significant medical risks. If the habitation is equipped with a

mechanical system of air extraction (VMC), a supplementary air intake is obligatory for the room where the stove is

positioned. In any event, this air supply is recommended.

The section of the air supply pipe, must be at least 4 dm2. This air supply can be blocked when the appliance is not

functioning and must not be placed facing the dominant winds but on the leeward wall, or better at the sides.

During the performance of the appliance, to make sure that it is free of any obstruction. If other fireplaces can be

brought into service simultaneously, to envisage sections of supplies of fresh air additional for these appliances.

Hope it helps

I'm sure someone posted a reply on here about installing an insert without building it in, basically the bare insert is positioned in the hearth and although the casing is not particularly attractive (normally it's hidden) you get the benefit of the additional radiant and convected heat. Is this against 'normes' (or illegal as most mnay people think when it's not standard), and is it dangerous? It wouldn't need the air supply pipe as the whole thing is open to the air.

Sid 

No its not illegal, its exactly how I have fitted mine, with reflective dense fibre insulation around the back and side stone walls, to reflect all that lovely heat back into the room, must have a register plate, and a supply of fresh air into the room, as shown above. The correct size and type of flue used, with 2 or less bends of less than 45degrees. No horizontal run of flue, unless from a rear venting fire, and then less than 15 cms IIRC. There are of course many other regs regarding fitting the fire, flue-liner and venting, such as height above roof-line, distance from windows, and neighbours property, and from boudaries etc. I used the cheapest €150 fire from a Brico shed, and its our only form of heating in a well insulated longere,  we only use €100 of wood a year, about 2/3rds of a cord of wood