Wooden beams decorating

JohnRoss

Does anyone know what is available for sprucing up wood beams on the ceiling. Ours seem to have been coated in something that has a slight gloss or oily appearance. If you rub them with a damp rag the coating comes off though not easily. I don't think it is any form of varnish. Is there something I can just paint on like some sort of oil based wood stain or whatever?.......................JR

The easiest finish to apply is one of the non-smelling, quick-dryinglasures which you will get in any brico shop. If you use the oil-based ones, they will darken the wood (particularly oak). The quick drying ones are acrylic-based and will probably stick to your beams even if you don't remove what is underneath.

The purists will no doubt encourage you to wax them, but we have over a kilometre of beams here, a lot of them quite rough, so waxing was not an option ! The quick-drying lasure has given them a really nice warm finish (medium oak) with a hint of a shine, but definitely not a gloss. You would not know whether they had been waxed or varnished ! !

Not sure what could have been on your beams that would be shiny - the French use a lot of Broux de Noix (sp. ?) which is a walnut-based dye, but it gives a dark brown matt finish.

Our beams had been 'hidden' for many years under a lath & plaster ceiling.

We used St Marc Lessive floor cleaner and lots of elbow grease to clean them. Once clean we applied Black Bison (Bison Fute en Francais I think) and again lashings of elbow grease.

Not the easiets task we have encountered but the beams now have an authentic dull sheen which we are very happy with.

Removing stain good old Nitromos paint stripperI would imagine would do the trick

John

I wouldn't recommend Nitromors - a bit too aggressive, and dodgy when used overhead!

There are proprietary wax and polish removers - Liberon make them amongst others, but they are intended for furniture restoration and are expensive. Sugar soap works (St Marc).

We waxed ours with BriWax, brought out from England, and it looks very good.

JR, the make was BOISILOR and comes in round tins. They do an oil-based and a water-based finish. The advantage of the water-based finish is that apart from no smell, that it doesn't darken the beams. The medium oak (chene moyen) "warmed" them up just a tad, taking away the slighly grey look. Our beams are mostly pretty rough and a lot of them have had some woodworm.

The finish has turned out superbly and everyone thinks we have waxed them !