Buying Land

Hi, my husband and i are in the process of buying a building plot in Valencay (dep 36) - we put the deposit down on 5th April and signed contracts but we have yet to hear when we are to go back and sign the final papers and hand over the rest of the money. Just wondering if anyone knows how long this takes - i spoke to the immobliers and they've said it is with the notaire and no idea how much longer?

Many Thanks

Stacey

If its under 5000m2 then there shouldn't be too much of a delay, so long as you haven't specified certain conditions (subject to plannig permission etc) - but this is France and they do like to ensure every bit of paperwork is copied many times and distributed to as many people as poss and each bit of paper seems to have 2 weeks plus turn-a-round!

However, if its over 5000m2 then it will have to be posted with SAFER where the locals are first offered the land at the price you are prepared to pay.  The locals have priority I understand over you.  Also its a check to ensure that you are not paying under the odds (amount declared) for the land.  This process took over 3 months in our case, most frustrating but no matter how much pressure we put on the immobilier, we were told its the system and we must wait.

Thats as it was 3 years ago, it might be different now ?

We estimated about 3 months - it's only 3300 m2 so should be straight forward. We were asked what we wanted to build and we have been told the restrictions (size of footprint and can only have 2 floors (ground and 1st) above ground because of the local Chateaux? We only want to build a small 3 bed in about 6 years time (saving our pennies [;-)]) It took about 3 months to purchase our small holiday home in the same area but that was private so wasn't quite sure if it was the same with a immobelier (sp).

Thanks you to those who have pm'd me - we have learnt to love the french working pace [:)]

Stacey

• 2 months later...
The delay will almost certainly have to do with the granting of a CU. Certificate of Urbanisim. This is the outline planning consent. Currently it's taking a minimum of 6 months to have a CU authorised. Take no notice of your agent they will tell you any old flannel. Speak to the Notaire involved and insist on an end date. I am in a similar position right now and flannel is what you get at every turn. Nobody wants to admit to the frustrating snails pace bureaucracy of France.[:@]