How do I find Hotel de Ville?

PhilAJ

Hello

We are going over to France to look at some properties in a village in the Vendee - La Jonchere.

Can anyone tell me how I find out where the Hotel de Ville is for that area? It's only a small village so I guess it must be elsewhere.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

Smaller villages have a Mairie, rather than a Hotel de Ville. This is where most local administration is dealt with, and where the mayor and perhaps a secretary have their offices. They are not usually open all day, or even every day.

Here is a page giving the opening hours for the Mairie at La Jonchere:

https://lannuaire.service-public.fr/pays-de-la-loire/vendee/mairie-85116-01

NB that it is only open alternate Saturdays.

Angela

• 3 weeks later...
I hope you were able to find the Mairie.

For guidance it is always on the central village square and placed next to the church and opposite le cafe.

The reason for that of course is that to marry in France you must have a civil wedding at the Mairie and then cross the road to have your church wedding at the church.

Once that's done you go to the Cafe for the reception.

So basically just head for the Church Steeple and you find all three.

[quote user="idun"]For guidance???? ... There again, by the law of averages, some must be.

[/quote]

Strangely enough the small town where we first rented in France was exactly like that : Church at one side of the Square with the Mairie opposite and the Hotel next door to the Mairie.

Sue [:)]

I say for guidance and in general this is how historically villages were laid out and in line with the French administrative structure.

Also when giving a rendez vous to French people in a place you don't know then the easiest is simply to suggest meeting in front of the church.

There are no fixed rules or regulations I'm simply saying what I have learnt over my lifetime.

Have a look on Google at where the Mairie of Eclusier Vaux is located (miles from the village and in the middle of nowhere) and tell me what administrative structure is responsable for its position [:D]

I bet my Maire who tries his hardest to avoid any contact with the public would love to move our Mairie a long way from the village.